This Disappears When Logged In

Looking for a True Snow Boa

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Count75, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count75

Count75 Member

Hi I am new here to this site but have had several diff species of snakes in the past. I currently have a female 5' red tail boa named fred. I know funny name for a female but that was her name when I adopted her. Any how I am really wanting to find a True snow boa ever since I saw a picture of one. It was all snow white with no visible markings of any kind on it at all and had the darkest black eyes that I had ever seen. I have yet to find any info online about a rare snake like this one at all. I only seem to find nothing but either albinos or morphs. Can any one help me out here???

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC!
    Tell them its short for "Frederica!
    I am not sure that I understand your question. A "snow" boa is a morph. Many of the photos are taken with too much flash leading people to think that they have no markings. In reality they have a silvery lavenderish white color markings.
    The true snows are available, but be prepared for your heart to stop when you see the price!

3. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Like merlin said, they are out there. You just have to be sitting down when you look at the price.

4. Count75

Count75 Member

Yea I saw alot of morph boas out there but it is very hard to describe the picture of the one that I saw when trying to get the correct name of it as I have never seen one in the snow before. any ideas?

5. Merlin

Are you saying that the snake was laying in real snow? As in frozen water?

6. Count75

Count75 Member

Yes well it was in a tree but the back ground was real snow. Which is what really threw me for a loop as I didn't think that snakes could live in cold areas like that. I will have to see if I can locate the pic and post it up for you to see.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Snakes... well, they can live in areas like that, but in the winter, they estivate. They would not be active, or climbing, up in trees. They would be in a den or burrow underground, essentially sleeping the winter away.

Chances are, the snake was draped over a tree branch for a quick picture.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

or even in the tricky art of photography, the snow wasn't real snow.

9. Merlin

It was bogus! People in the herp community have joked for years about arctic pythons and snow boas. Usually accompanied by a picture of a snake made of snow, ala snowman.
    There is no such thing and any boa that was exposed to the temperatures at which snow is present would be in very bad shape very quickly.

10. Count75

Count75 Member

ok that is cool thanks for the info. I didn't think that snakes could really live in any place cold like that but wasn't sure but I have seen pictures of snake like that one that I saw but they were just partially all white like that and then had some color to the rest of there body. I wasn't sure if they were actually bred like that or not. I still think that they are awesome to look like that though being pretty much solid white with the black eyes and all. having been on this site and having seen the moonglows they are kinda close to them and are pretty awesome looking in my opinion.

11. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

12. chadhar

chadhar Member

yea ive seen the trick photos before the snake I seen was blue hypo hog not a little blue really blue found out it was a fake pic man was I mad
    and humiliated lol oh well

13. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

Someone in the Los Angeles California Craigslist page is selling a snow boa for $1300. *shrug*

14. Count75

Count75 Member

Cool thanks for the info this is really helpful.

15. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Welcome :)
    Good luck finding your snow snake!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.