This Disappears When Logged In

Looking For A New Reptile Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Lexie, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lexie

Lexie Member

So I have had a bearded dragon for about a year and I'm totally in love with him! He's the best. For the past month I have been thinking of something new to get.. I was considering a second beardie but also thought about branching out. I have an empty 55 and 20 gal long laying around and it bothers me that they're empty. So I'm looking for a lizard that relatively easy to care for and friendly. Something that could stay permanently or temporarily in one of the tanks. I think the largest cage I could build would be 4' long by 2-3 ft wide by 4-5 ft tall. So my thoughts were another beardie, a leo or crestie, chinese water dragon, or maybe a Savanah monitor? What do you guys think?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

A Leo would be a good fit in the 20. Not sure if the max size you listed is large enough for a CWD, but you would definitely need more room for a sav. Main issue with the tanks is that they usually are only 12" wide, which really limits what can comfortably go in them. At least in terms of things that can live in them permanently.

3. Lexie

Lexie Member

Hmm well I crossed savs off my list.. so I think my top choices are beardie, leo, or maybe a blue tongued skink?

4. Yellowfang15

Yellowfang15 Well-Known Member

A Blue Tongued Skink is a very good choice. They can spend they're entire life in a 55 gallon tank and they are known to be friendly and feeding is quite easy.

5. Lexie

Lexie Member

Hmm okay any other suggestions?

6. Darkbird

Sorry, but a BTS is too big for a standard 55. Again, the 12" width with a lizard that can easily be pushing 24" is not a good idea. One would fit well in the parameters you gave for a custom cage though.

7. Shmoo

Shmoo New Member

Jeweled lacerta! not tropical and not desert. More active than a beard and can be tamed. Beautiful colors. All over green with leopard print on the back and blue spots on the side. Can be a show lizard as well

8. Darkbird

Thread necro, over 2 years old and OP hasn't been back. Still not a bad option in a bigger cage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.