This Disappears When Logged In

Looking For 40g Tall Ideas

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by iRene, Jan 6, 2018.

1. iRene

iRene Elite Member

I have a 40g tall tank. The dimensions are 48" long 12" wide 18" deep. I am looking for different ideas for what to keep in it. I can't guarantee I will have any room for a larger cage. I want something that can happily live it's entire life in this cage. I feel that the 12" wide is too small for a bearded dragon. My house mate insists no snakes larger than a garter.

I have two leopard geckos. I have kept leopard geckos, green anoles, crested geckos, toads, dwarf frogs, and red bellied snakes. I have thought about a community tank with anoles or crested geckos. I am curious about what can live in that tank. I am very interested in animals that do not mind being watched. I do not handle much. I am also interested in something that might live for more than just two or three years.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Could you post a picture of the enclosure so we can have a better idea of the shape and what you are working with? The dimensions seem abit odd to me. Was it custom built? And I'm assuming by 48" long you are referring to the height?

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Probably a 40 gal aquarium.

4. iRene

iRene Elite Member

Sorry. My English is bad. 18" is the height. It is a long tank. The tank is on the floor in the picture. We took it off the stand for painting the stand.

Do not worry about the bottles in the tank. It is only white vinegar we bought to clean the tank with.

Attached Files:

5. AmityReptiles

As for animals, most snakes smaller than 5', so there's alot of options. If your roommate wants a smaller snake you could indeed do a garter snake, a hognose might work too. If you divide the tank in half you could do both!
    You could try a fire skink although they tend to burrow and hide.
    You could also do most geckos and anoles I believe. Cresteds would be a good option.
    You could set up a dart frog terrarium...

6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

If you're considering a garter snake they are a rewarding group to keep, docile and very active making them good for display as well as handling. You could keep a couple in a tank that size.

7. iRene

iRene Elite Member

Are garters social? I thought only very small snakes like ring necks and red bellies tend to live in groups. The reason for a size restriction is that my house mate keeps rats. They are allowed free roam time and he wants to be sure his rats are safe.

What can live in a community with something like an anole or a crested? I know pacman frogs would eat anoles but will a regular garden toad be a safe community member?

8. AmityReptiles

I don't believe this tank would be large enough for any (safe) multi-species terrarium. I don't believe garters are social, but you could place a divider in the middle?

9. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

If there is enough space and hiding spots you can keep two or more garter snakes together. It helps if they are the same sex. I wouldn't go so far as to call them "social" but in the wild they're often found together or with numerous individuals in a small area, and in winter Northern species hibernate together in huge numbers.

If you scroll about 3/4 of the way down there are a few paragraphs under "Keeping More than One Snake in the Same Cage"
    Housing - Gartersnake.info

As for mixed species terrariums I'm not generally a fan of them but if you must combine species your best bet is probably the long-tailed grass lizard. They are diurnal and behave much in the same way as anoles but are not territorial and will not bully or be bullied by the anoles. However anoles and grass lizards come from completely different continents and like anoles almost all in the industry are wild caught. This means it would be fairly easy for one or more of these species to be carrying parasites or disease that could infect your other animals. Don't combine toads or any other amphibians, they tend to try to eat things that are too big for their mouths. People seem to commonly keep Green tree frogs with anoles but I wouldn't because as I said earlier it only takes one accident for a frog to stuff an anole of its own size down its throat, killing both. I personally would probably go the safe route and keep only one species in the tank.

10. iRene

iRene Elite Member

I had thought there was a grass lizard native to North America. I am especially concerned about the unfamiliar parasites.

Is the enclosure at all suitable for a collared lizard or a steppe runner? I will probably go single species for what I put in the tank. I love the idea of a micro community setup but it is sounding like an unreasonable risk to take with animals.

11. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Garter snakes (of similar size) are fine cohabbed, though not actually a social animal in the usual sense. A corn or other species of rat snake would make better use of the height for climbing though. Some of the Asian species of rat snakes are on the small side as well. I have pairs of climacophora (Japanese) and prasina housed individually in sterilite tubs much smaller than your aquarium.

12. iRene

iRene Elite Member

My house mate is very reluctant to allow a snake into the house unless it cannot present a danger to a weaned rat. I had thought I could convince him to accept a garter snake but he is not happy about the idea. I believe he would say never to a corn snake, rat snake, or even a ball python. He likes snakes. He used to help a friend who bred milk snakes handle the young regularly. He puts the safety of his rats first.

How would a steppe runner do in an enclosure like this? I have also been looking at collared lizards but they seem to prefer rodent prey.

13. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

You could keep several steppe runners in an enclosure of that size. I have no personal experience with them but I've seen a number of topics on here about them. They seem to do great in small groups provided there's enough basking space, hides, etc.

And while they will accept small rodents I think a collared lizard wouldn't be able to eat much more bigger than a newborn rat, and the chances of a collared lizard escaping, accessing, and eating one of your roommates baby rats is extremely small.