This Disappears When Logged In

Looking at a pair of dragons...

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Mark, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Well I am emailing a member about buying a pair of beadies he has. He stated that they're about a year old and happen to be a male female pair.

I have zero interest in breeding and I don't really like the idea of having two cages around here. Thus I am a little wary of this idea.

I am thinking about a cage 6' long and about 30" deep, roughly 36" interior height.

Talking in very general terms here, obviously there is no great info on the dragons involved..

- > What are the chances that down the road I will have to separate the pair?

- > I don't want to breed the dragons would breeding season put undue stress on the female?

- > Is this just a bad idea all around? Only keep one dragon and solve the whole thing.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

If you dont want to breed and dont want to keep the 2 seperate, then dont get the pair, lol...Get 2 females.

3. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

I agree with marsha. Not really another way around unless 2 sep. tanks or babies could happen! haha Good luck with your descion!

4. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Take the female to the doc and get her on the BC shot. LOL

You could and just toss the eggs if the produce any. It dont mean you have to incubate them, but thats your choice.

5. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Tossing the eggs doesn't save you from dealing with all pregnancy related stuff, like egg binding, having and preparing a separate egg laying box and medium, pre and post pregnancy health issues, etc.

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Thats true I got to thinking about that after i posted it. Ya if you want a pair get 2 females.

7. Mark

Mark Elite Member

I have long been thinking just get a male dragon if the sex is known at the time of purchase. My thinking here is why mess with the whole egg thing anyway, isn't there a chance a female will become gravid just because? Even one of the worst and most aggressive male dragons can't be as bad as my old ig was and I could handle him.

8. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Well.. there's some drawbacks in each case... males tend to be much more aggressive than females, males might pass through a very complicated puberty stage where they don't eat *at all*, females are more difficult to find than males and yes, they might pass through the whole pregnancy thing when they reach maturity.

9. venus

venus Founding Member

Females can lay eggs with or without a male. Either sex will be fine and males d o get over their attitude issues. I think it depends on the individual dragon, I had a female with just as much attitude. Each has its pros and cons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.