This Disappears When Logged In

Lizard With Neurological Problems

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Yeung, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Yeung

Yeung New Member

I bought my bearded dragon yesterday, and he has some neurological problems, so he cant walk very well or catch crickets very well. He has managed to catch about 8 or 10 with my help, but refuses to take them from my hand and whenever I try to move one near him, or move him so he can catch them more easily, I think he gets spooked and refuses to eat anymore after that. He has already pooped so I know all his insides are working, but I'm still worried. Anyone have anything I can do to help him? Substrate recommendations so he can move more easily? Etc?

2. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

How do you know its neurological and not husbandry related? Where did you get the beardie from because IF there is something wrong, that's some scummy sales person to sell one with problems....but more than likely there is something else wrong.

As always, its best to start off by listing off the parameters of your set up (basking temps, ambient air temps, humidity as well as how you are measuring these paremeters - temp probe, analog or digital temp reader, infrared temp gun) and include at least one picture of what the cage looks like in its entirety so people have an easier time being able to spot things that can use some changing if need be

3. Lori68

Also, if you just brought the beardie home yesterday, give it a few days to settle in before trying to hand feed. The whole unnerving experience of a new home is still very new and you shouldn't expect to have him eating from your fingers immediately. Give it some time before doing these things....but for the record, I wouldn't recommend hand feeding any reptile no matter if they are a harmless beardie or an injury inflicting monitor. They would easily start associating your fingers with food and develop the behavior of fingers means food, therefore always attempt to bite the fingers

4. Yeung

Yeung New Member

The pet store claimed it was because he ate a cricket that was too big, and they told me ahead of time that he had problems and I agreed I would take him on, I really dont think they meant to do this I think it's simply because they dont know enough about beardies (they also told me I only needed to feed him every other day, which may be a problem because he probably hadn't gotten enough to eat, which may be part of the problem, though he does get around fairly well when he does move it just looks funny, and hes very clumsy)

The hot side of the tank is in the high 90s, and I'm measuring this with just a exp terra thermometer, however I dont know about the cool side, however I assume it's in the high to mid 60s because last night when I turned off the Heat lamp it said it was around 60 something, I cant remember exactly...I'm not sure how to insert pictures into this so I'll describe it: the tank is around 20 gallons, but I'll be getting a bigger one once he gets bigger, the substrate I'm using right now is Zilla desert blend (ground English walnut shells), I have two food bowls (each with spring mix salad, zucchini, squash, pineapple, strawberry, and exo terra dragon grub in them), I have a heat pad, and a 125 watt I think exo terra heat/UVB lamp, he doesnt have any hides or anything to climb on right now, but I'm in the process of making him a hide, I dont think I'll give him anything to climb on though because he cant really do it right now at least

And I only wanna try hand feeding him because I'm afraid he wont be able to catch enough food by himself, as hes really awkward when he moves and it scares most of the crickets away

However I will be moving his staple insect over to Phoenix worms because I think he'll have a better time with those

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if the Exo Terra thermometer is an analogue it`s probably inaccurate, possibly as much as 15% + out which means you/we have no idea what the temps are, neither can you measure the basking surface temp with it even if it were digital with a probe, you urgently need an IR Temp-gun (I`ll put a link up).
    I`ll take it this is a fishtank with a screen top, if yes, it will be impossible to stabilise either temps or humidity. I think the animal`s current behaviour might have at least something to do with the present conditions....
    A photo would be helpful, I usually copy and paste from Flickr or Photobucket or other album.
    If the UVB bulb is an MVB (mercury vapour) it needs to be a certain minimum distance from bulb face to closest surface of the animal, can you confirm which type it is?

Digital Infrared Handheld Temperature Laser Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Point 733430501716 | eBay

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

An adult Bearded dragon can give quite a nasty bite, they have sharp teeth and strong jaws, feeding from fingers is not recommended...
    You basically need to know two temps during "activity time"; the surface of the basking object @ between approx. 40 to 45c (105 to 115f) then the lowest ambient (air) @ approx. 21 to 24c (72 to 75f)... Nighttime, no lower than approx. 19c (68f) unless the dragon is brumating.
    The humidity should range between approx. 30 to 50+%, the lower figure will be immediately around the basking site.
    A particulate substrate (topsoil/playsand mix) allows them to dig which is a perfectly natural and beneficial behaviour. Impaction is normally caused by unsupportive conditions, not loose substrate.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  7. Lori68

To me, the movements you describe sound more like mbd related and not neurological. I'm not a vet though, and neither are you or the pet store you got him from. But based on my own experience of what its like to see an animal in this condition, that sounds like mbd. It can come from a whole host of issues but they are all husbandry related, not a brain malfunction.

You should get a better quality uvb bulb. Look at arcadia or mega ray bulbs for providing uv/heat. And as murrindindi said, a glass tank with a screen top is hell to try and maintain some stability inside the cage. Are you providing any supplements to his diet as well? This of course will take a while to see a difference since you only got him yesterday, but a calcium supplement is probably needed in my opinion

8. Yeung

Yeung New Member

@murrindindi
    It is an analog, thank you for letting me know its inaccurate I will look into getting the IR Temp Gun, however the tank was specifically designed for reptiles so I think it will be okay, and the way he is acting is in no way my fault as I did just get him and he was acting like this when I got him.
    It is MVB, however it should be the right distance from him, thank you for your input

@Lori68
    I'm fairly certain it isnt MBD, I've researched MBD extensively and watch multiple videos on MBD and seen multiple bearded dragons with this, he doesnt walk like them, no swelling, no weak bones, he has more than enough energy(always trying to run around), he doesnt eat much yet but he did just move, only his back legs dont move right and his front legs are a bit awkward when he isnt moving (he tends to "cross" his front legs when hes laying down which concerns me a lot, as well as when he is staying still and (trying) to lean on them he holds his wrists at strange angles), however I plan on taking him to the vet ASAP

I am providing supplements (exo terra multi vitamins and a calcium d3 mix), however he hasn't eaten any of what I put that on, I'm sure once he gets settled he will though

I will work on showing pictures of him and his enclosure

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

A 20 gallon fishtank with a screen top is NOT suitable for the dragon because apart from being too small to get a decent temp and humidity gradient the screen allows much heat and humidity to escape, neither will offering supplementary (dietary) D3 help in any way.
    The present conditions do not support the animal, no vet or medication can help until all the necessary parameters are in place. I wasn`t blaming you for whatever was wrong when you bought the lizard, merely pointing out that what you`re offering is inadequate (but not difficult to rectify). When you say the UVB (MVB) is at the correct distance, what is that?

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I didn't see it in the psots (maybe i missed it) but how old is the Beardie?
    It sounds MBD related to me as well.