This Disappears When Logged In

Lizard B. Riddick

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Rolf Power, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Rolf Power

Rolf Power Member

Recently on a trip to PetSmart I couldn't help but pick this guy up. Decided to name him Lizard B. Riddick. Put this vivarium together and loaded it with what I hoped would make a good home.

Green Anole in a 13 gallon (approx.) round tank. with LED lights. Using a UVA/UVB combo bulb and a 60w ceramic heather lamp

Any suggestions/comments?

20171202_211536.jpg 20171203_234335.jpg 20171203_234728.jpg

2. Owen Baranoski

Owen Baranoski Well-Known Member

Make sure your humidity is up. You've probably got enough room for a tankmate, if your anole is female. What I have with my anoles is a longtail lizard, and they get along great. Do a bit of research before you just dump another lizard in. That's a beautiful little setup though. Just make sure it's humid enough, and make sure you don't fry him with that bulb! If it gets too hot, that may not be good .

3. Rolf Power

Rolf Power Member

You think a 60W ceramic is too much for 24hr heat in this tank? It generally stays in the 85-90F range during the day at the top and towards the bottom it drops to around 80F. Night time I don't have exact temps yet but I turn the LEDs and UVB/UVA bulb out.

I definitely need more ventilation in here. This tank only has about 20 small holes about 16th of an inch in size close to the bottom. Probably going to drill a few more.

No tank mate yet. He is a juvenile male and I mist his tank liberally a minimum of 4 times/day and have a shallow water dish at the bottom to help with humidity.

4. Owen Baranoski

That's the issue I had with my 75 watt bulb. If it's not well enough ventilated, then it heats up. The ratings on the light bulbs are typically designed for screen top. Do you have a screen top?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the compact UVB bulbs are not very efficient at all, also, if the lizard gets too close they can cause eye problems similar to "snow blindness", I would remove it immediately, personally I would adivise using a"normal" shaped fishtank so that you can install a fluorescent UVB tube.
    You`re losing much heat and humidity with the screen top, the more ventilation you have the more you will lose.
    I`ve personally never used led lights, if that is your "basking" bulb what wattage is it? The CHE is fine for raising the ambient temps but not as a basking bulb because it directs the heat all around rather than downwards. What temp does the room normally get to during the day and night as that will obviously also effect the bulb wattages?
    What are you measuring the temps (ambient and basking surface) plus the humidity range with?

6. Rolf Power

Rolf Power Member

For my basking bulb I have a ReptiSun 5.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent and then for ambient heat I use a 60W CHE, which I generally turn off on the warmer nights along with the UVB bulb.

I have a partial screen top. It is an A-Round-Nature tank with about 80% of the top a steel mesh.

The LED lights are very low power and built into the tank. They're for viewing purposes only and are turned off at night and when not home.

Room stays a pretty consistent 70F throughout the day/night.

For temperature and humidity I am currently using a multi-meter with a temperature and humidity probe. Humidity stays in the 70-80% range most of the day.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

As I said, the compact UVB bulbs are not efficient and can cause eye damage if the animal gets too close which it clearly can looking at the photos, along with the screen top I don`t think this is a suitable enclosure at all.
    You need an IR Temp-gun to measure the basking surface, you cannot read it accurately with the probe even if the gauge is digital. As I also mentioned, the CHE is not suitable as a basking bulb, you can buy very cheap reptile "basking bulbs" which would be much more effective.
    Can you take a photo of the gauge you`re using to measure temps and humidity?
    Digital Infrared Handheld Temperature Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point | eBay
    An edit: I like the way you`ve set up the interior very much, it`s just the tank itself and the other heating/lighting details. ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  8. Owen Baranoski

You typically want to keep the light around 12 inches away from the reptiles eyes. What you could do is get a heating mat, and just scrap the light fixture. You still need the UVB to prevent metabolic bone disease. You can get a UVB fixture that doesn't provide heat, and place it higher up. That's similar to what I do with my lizards. Not sure if that's your best solution, but it may be the safest route.

9. Owen Baranoski

Also, could you post a picture of the top without the lights on it?

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the lizard needs a basking bulb emitting heat placed above it, not a "heat mat". The flood beam halogen bulbs @ par 30 or par 38 fitted with a ceramic bulb holder are far superior as basking bulbs, they can also be fitted with a dimmer switch which makes adjusting the basking surface temp much easier (or obviously the basking object/bulb can be raised/lowered). They are very cheap to buy, I would suggest a 50w to start with.
    The screen top will filter out much of the UVB.
    An example of the halogens: 2 x CROMPTON 80w ES E27 Screw Flood Lamp Par 38 Wattmiser Dimmable Light Bulb | eBay

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    AmityReptiles likes this.
  11. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I'd have to disagree. I wouldn't put two or more adult anoles in anything less than a 20 gallon, as they are an incredibly active and territorial family of lizards.

Looks like yours is only a juvenile. Beautiful setup by the way, looks very natural.

murrindindi likes this.
  12. Owen Baranoski

Even if they're two females? This example happens to be a male, but I mean in general. I've always heard 2 anoles per ten gallon.

13. Rolf Power

Rolf Power Member

What makes the compact UVB bulbs so inefficient? I understand the eye damage, but not the efficiency part. Is this not what they're designed for?

Luckily I have an IR temp gun I can bring from work to get more accurate results in the basking spot.

I try to use the CHE as a primary heat for the tank, not as a basking spot. Due to the narrow enclosure it is difficult to get a good temperature variant horizontally, but considering anoles are arboreal, I would assume this is pretty normal in nature, as trees are much warmer higher up than lower down.

What specifically do you not like about the tank? You mentioned a mesh screen top, although I am unsure of how many terrariums don't use mesh screen tops. I am definitely wanting to get the best lighting, but I don't think getting rid of the tank is the correct answer just yet.

20171204_210724.jpg

14. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

They don't produce hardly any actual uvb, and don't distribute it evenly. They are designed for reptiles, and for that purpose, but we often find manufacturers have no idea what they're doing when making products for reptiles. It's definitely maddening. Take calcium sand as one example, sounds like a decent idea, edible sand right? But The reality is a bunch of dead lizards with even worse impaction than if they are on regular sand. And yet these products are still being sold and propagated.

Rolf Power likes this.
  15. Rolf Power

Rolf Power Member

Good information.

So pretty much, any sort of UVB bulb that fits in a dome lamp is not going to work in most instances? I would assume dome lamps are best left for heat/basking/or just light, but not UVB?

16. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

You are correct my friend. As far as I know the only effective uvb bulbs are in fluorescent tubes.
    Some like those mercury vapor bulbs, though, not sure if they are very effective.

Rolf Power likes this.
  17. Rolf Power

Rolf Power Member

Have been reading on MVBs and they seem to have a lot of mass appeal but significant drawbacks. Although considering the bulb I currently use also has mercury, probably not much worse.

Is there any recommended UVB tube lights out there for a tank of my size/shape? Would it be wise to have a light about the height of the tank mounted on the side vertically or would that not give enough variation?

I plan to move this tank close to the window to allow as much natural light as possible. If I was to do this, considering I live in a particularly sunny area (Texas), could I forego the UVB light entirely?

18. Owen Baranoski

I've heard that works, but I don't want to make a fool of myself for recommending it. I'm not an expert in the lighting department...

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No. It is not a good idea. Not only will the direct sunlight falling on the enclosure result in overheating, UVB does not penetrate glass or plastic. Our windows are specifically designed to block it.

Rolf Power likes this.
  20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, a MVB will not work in such a tiny enclosure although if it were larger it would be quite effective in regards to the UVB.
    Neither is it large (long) enough to use a decent UVB tube, again the design of it makes it unsuitable in many ways.
    It`s very easy to cover a "normal" all glass fishtank top with something solid such as sealed plywood or plexiglass with holes cut out for the heating and lighting if there isn`t enough height to fix them inside (which is normally the best way).
    Edit: Any UVB tube absolutely MUST be placed above the animal and in a horizontal position, if you fixed it vertically the light would be shining directly into the animal`s eyes (dangerous).