This Disappears When Logged In

Live Trees or Plants for Chams

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by luffymonkeyd, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luffymonkeyd

luffymonkeyd New Member

Does anyone have a good place online for cheap healthy plants/trees for a Cham to live with.

And what types people have had best luck with indoors

I am going to be building a custom enclosure in the near future
    And will take photos and post in a new thread

THANKS
    Bryan

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Fiscus tree, hibiscus tree and pothos for hanging.

I would make sure that you replace the soil with an organic potting soil that doesn't have any fertilizers or pesticides. rinse you plant and take all the soil out then replace with the new soil! You can also put rocks on top of soil to discourage digging in the pots!

I don't own a chameleon but a few members do and I'm sure that they will come by with what works for them.
    Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus) Caresheet

3. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

4. mld

Those thread are amazing Kelly!

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Titus is amazing too! I sure do miss him!

6. JoeMasturbaby

JoeMasturbaby Well-Known Member

i have been trying to find a live tree for my 4ft high cage as well, but cant seem to get a good deal.

cheapest one i saw that would work was 139$ which is the price of my cage AND my cham combined. I'm thinking about getting branches and tying them together to make it more natural looking, then maybe get some real vines to grow around them.

seems like an easy idea and most cost effective to me.

7. mld

Did you try walmart or a garden center? That price is crazy for a ficus or hanging pothos plant!

Here are some other enclosure that may give you some ideas;
    Chameleon Enclosures

8. JoeMasturbaby

i was looking for a tree, not a plant. I wanted something that would support my cham's weight and fill up the enclosure so he had more room to move.

9. mld

OK, a ficus is a tree!
    Pothos is a plant that has vine type of growth to it!
    http://www.foliageunlimited.net/images/recommended_office_plants.gif
    http://www.hartsnursery.com.au/plants/images/hanging_baskets/Scindapsus-Golden-Pothos-Ba.jpg

10. JoeMasturbaby

saw a ficus at the garden shop down my street, was still about 100$ and didnt have any branches for him to climb/bask on.

i think im gonna go with my idea of tying branches together.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Go look at home depo or lowes. They usually have pretty good sized ficus for about 10-20 dollars.
    However I know with a veiled, they will feed on them. The first picture in the chameleon cages is mine and the little bugger stripped all the leaves off of it and killed it.
    I am working on his adult cage and I will use deadfall tree branches and then put in ficus, hibiscus and pothos to fill in the greenry.

12. Mr. T

Mr. T Established Member

you can get a large potted Potho from walmart for like $8... just make sure its cleaned and repotted with organic soil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.