This Disappears When Logged In

Live Plants In The Enclosure

Discussion in 'Desert' started by 311Style, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

So I was at home depot today picking up another bag of playsand, and I wandered into the plant section or whatever and noticed they had these little bamboo things in like small pots with rocks in them. So I picked 1 up and was wondering... Would it be safe to burry the pot in the enclouser with the bamboo in it? What would happen if my beardie "sampled" the bamboo :confused:

Well Thanks in advance

-Ryan

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Although I don't think the bamboo would hurt him at all, most potted plants in stores have fertilizers and pesticides on them. Give the plant a thorough rinse and completely change the potting soil to one that's pure, nothing added. I'm not entirely sure if the bamboo can survive in the BD's habitat, but if it can, it should be ok if you ask me. Its just a type of grass. To the best of my knowledge there aren't toxic species.

3. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

Yeah it came in like a little pot with rocks in it ill just remove it and clean off all the stuff and put it back Im hoping it'll do well with the uvb and heat :)

Thanks again

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are talking about the plants sold as "Lucky Bamboo" I doubt it will work. There are 2 problems. The plants grow in a tub of water. This may raise the humidity of the beardie enclosure too much. Also these plants grow in low light situations. I know exposure to sunlight will fry them! The strong UVB lamp and the heat will probably do them in as well.
    If you are determined to put live plants in the cage you are pretty much limited to the cacti and succulent family.

5. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

Eh thats the kind of technical answer I was afraid of... Ill have to look into those other two families of plants aswell.. Thanks for your help Merlin

-Ryan

6. Scaley Fetish

Scaley Fetish Elite Member

ALso keep in mind....Dragons are infamous eaters, they will tast and eat pretty much anything that is offered to them.....hence killing, possibly, any plants you put in with them. I like the idea of Jades and ponytail palms in my enclosure, both are considered "safe" as well as both are drier climate plants and both pretty durable.

7. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

If you check the bottom portion of this page you will find a list of "safe" plants that can be used in your enclosure. In my experience the heat and lack of humidity kills plants pretty fast, I got tired of replacing them all the time so quit all together. You may want to use fake plants if you are determined to use foliage in your enclosure but as pointed out previously your beardie may end up trying to eat them. You will want to use something that cannot be chewed off or swallowed just to be safe.

Safe plants link-
    http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
    The list is near the bottom.

Later

8. venus

venus Founding Member

9. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

OOPS! Sorry Venus, I hadn't ever seen that list or I would have directed the poster there. The information available here is top notch, I would always recommend checking here just wasn't aware. I am now.LOL

10. venus

venus Founding Member

LOL...No worries Chris ;)...Their information is good to.

11. harold

harold Elite Member

I use silk plants in my beardies' cages. They try to sample them once in a while but I think they know the difference from real. When ever They sample I give them the real thing. They've trained me real well. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.