This Disappears When Logged In

Live Plants in Iggy Cage?

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by MicahC, Feb 21, 2013.

1. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

What are some good suggestions for live plants that would be put inside of an iguana cage? I want to liven up the cage a bit.

2. Blikr2

Blikr2 Active Member

Extremely hardy and fast growing vines, I had an iguana when I was pretty young with my dad and the only thing that wouldn't get trampled were the vines. Make sure you get a safe plant too!!

3. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

OK, Will do

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Live plants in an iguana cage really aren't an option. What doesn't get eaten will get destroyed.

5. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

When I had my iggy I used to put the spiderlings from my large spider plant in with him for something different for him. I now do it with my bts and parrot. I snip the stalk from the spiderling up close to the plant and then just clip it in the cages.

Just wanted to add in that my plants are not fertilized and no insecticides are used on them. It was grown from spiderlings from an aunts plant 30 years ago. Be careful if you purchase one from a store. If you know of anyone with a spider plant they are the easiest plants to root.

6. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

I had an outdoor enclosure with a large hibiscus that grew successfully for years. Of course, my iguana would eat the heck out of it, especially when it was in bloom. He was brought indoors from Nov through May every year, so the plant had some time to recoup.

Make sure what you plant is edible for your iguana, because they WILL eat anything growing!

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I give my iguana live, potted Kale and Collard for him to eat, but that's about it.

8. Tired

Tired Elite Member

When I had my red iggy, I had a naturalistic cage that I had two colard green plants in that he munched out quite a bit.
    Anything you put in will either be eaten or trambled. So might as well make it healthy for him! Of course if you do grow plants don't use any pesticides or unorganic growing agent