This Disappears When Logged In

Little Worried About My Variable

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Slowhite03, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Slowhite03

Slowhite03 New Member

I have a variable kingsnake and has always been a champ. Recently, however, he's been acting really strange. He never spends anytime on the hot side. The last couple of feeds, med to large mouse, I have fed him he will go to his hot side for a night and then when I wake up he would be on the cool side. This concerns me because it takes about a week for him to leave me a present. Before this he would poo 2-3 days after. The hot side is regulated and is 84-88 using hydrofarm. It has been like this for many months so I don't think temperature is a problem. It can't be dehydration because his scales are shiny and his eyes are normal. Does anyone else have expierence with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· How long have you owned the animal? 1 year

· What is the enclosure size? 40 gallon long

· What type of substrate are you using (shavings, bark, paper towel, etc.)? Paper towels

· What type of lighting are you using and at what distance(s) are they from the animal? 50 watt basking, 18 inches

· What are the temperatures within the enclosure and how are they being measured? 84-86 hot side and 75-80( room temp) cool side

· What is the humidity within the enclosure and how is it being measured? 40-50% heat and humidity being measure by a zoo med product

· What are you feeding (or attempting to feed) the animal? Medium to large mice

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Check the temps again. Do you have a heat gun? Usually when a snake stays on cool side its too hot and vice versa. What are you measuring with? Digital or dial thermometers? If its a dial it can be off as much as 15%.

3. Slowhite03

Slowhite03 New Member

Warm side is done by a digital hydrofarm meter

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

As they grow and get older their digestion slows down. Some of my adults go once a month. As long as there is no swelling by the vent area and he keeps eating your doing everything right :)

ps I'd love to see pictures of your king :)

5. Slowhite03

Slowhite03 New Member

Your kingsnake goes poop once a month? Mine was pretty active but recently stopped. When I pick him up he starts moving around but rarely on his own.hes only around 3 years old so I don't know when these guys reach adulthood technically. Ill post pictures tomorrow if I can