This Disappears When Logged In

Little Water Snake Won't Eat Very Often!

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by annarawrr, Jan 27, 2012.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Hi guys!
    My plumbeous water snake Preshuz came to live with me about six months ago, and when I got him he was close to adult size (about 1.5 ft) and I never measured him so I'm not sure how much he's grown since then. I know most people aren't familiar with the plumbeous but he's a colubrid from Southeast Asia, 90% aquatic (I keep him like one would keep tropical fish but with a hammock for him to bask on). He lives in a small 15 gal right now and will be moving homes to a much larger tank shortly. He requires no special heating or lighting (temps are about 75-80 depending on the weather) and eats fish.

When I got him he was happy to feed once or twice a week, now he will only eat every 2-3 weeks. He seems healthy, has a pleasant temperament, hasn't lost weight and sheds regularly once a month. Their adult size is around 2ft but he hasn't reached that length yet. Would it be naive of me to ask if this is an acceptable feeding schedule for a 1.8-2ft snake? I'm not sure if all snakes eat the same amount when you compare the feedings to their actual size.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have zip for knowledge on your snake species, but usually when a snake backs off on eating it is a sign that the temps may not be appropriate. Try raising the temperature a couple of degrees and see if that helps.

3. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Yeah, they're only found in this part of the world and because of their unique husbandry needs and small stature they are not commonly kept as pets. I'll try raising his temps. He never paid any attention to his MVB so I stopped using it but hopefully starting it again will help his appetite.