This Disappears When Logged In

List of Constrictor Snakes

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by TitoAndKatt, Mar 1, 2014.

1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I would like to gather a list of all snakes, or at least common pet snakes, that are Classified as "Constrictors." I was having a conversation with someone today and had a realization. Corn snakes for example, often constrict their prey, but I have never considered any colubrids to be "officially classified" as a constrictor species. It sounds silly, but it's something I never really thought about in too much depth. lol Obviously I know some species are clearly constrictors, but I never really thought too in depth about which specific species would fall into what categories... o_O Anyways, I'm out to collect a list of snakes OFFICIALLY classified as Constrictors.

For anyone who is curious, the conversation basically led up to (other person's comment) "almost all pet snake species are constrictors" which apparently somehow translates to all pet snakes are a danger to other small pets in the house. -_- Grrr....

So I guess I am equally, if not MORE interested in which snakes are officially NOT considered constrictors. To prove a point.

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Rat snakes are constrictors this includes corn snakes (red rat snakes).

Other constrictors

king snakes

milk snakes

pythons

boas

May be more.

3. Poison

Poison Elite Member

These snakes kill their prey by constricting therefor they are classified as constrictors.

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

An okay! I've seen several baby corns not constrict their prey but I know that's more a factor of the individual (and age I'm sure) than the species. I don't know why, I just always classified colubrids as not "officially" (the Official is be important part) constrictors in my head for some reason. Even though I watch our corn snake eat every 1-2 weeks.... *facepalm* LOL Like I said it's not something I ever really stopped to think about. lol Told you it was silly. "> *embarrassed* :/
    Are there any non-venemous non-constrictors? I mean there are only so many ways to kill prey...

5. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Just having a blonde moment I guess. Haha Stefan is NEVER going to let me live this one down! :-"

6. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Baby snakes often times don't see a need to constrict prey that they can get down easily.

To many to list but garter snakes are one of them. Rear fanged venomous snakes as well such as a hognose. These snake just over power the prey and swallow them whole.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Kattrina, Kattrina, Kattrina, you take "having a blonde moment" to a whole new level.... (I`ll never, but never let you live it down)... (Not for a while anyway)...
    This is a list of all the currently named reptiles in the world (up to the end of 2013), I hope it contains the info you want, Kitty... ;)

THE REPTILE DATABASE

8. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I knew it was hopeless to hope you wouldn't see this thread! ROFL I'm busy cramming a zillion medical terms into my head, other stuff is being pushed right out the other side! o_O Thanks for the list! :D

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

A zillion medical terms, are you seriously saying they`ve asked you to pass tests just to be doctor??? Pull the other one, it`s got bells on it, Kitt-Katt....
    You might also simply try asking for a list of currently recognise constrictors on Google/similar. If you get the answer put it up (obviously I already know, but for the rest of the population that don`t).... :-" ;)

10. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I know! Requiring us to pass tests to become doctors...psh...What's up with that? :p You'd be amazed how much of the simple stuff gets lost though when you're saturating your brain with such massive amounts of information. I think my brain might explode. O_O rofl Or maybe I'm just getting Alzheimer's really early...

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Did you get the answer Kitty, if yes what is it, how many constrictor species are there these days (or to put it another way, those days)???
    If you do have Alzheimer`s it`s been coming on for quite some time, blondie..... And not to make a point of it but I will anyway, you`re not getting any younger, and another birthday very soon (gee, do they have doctors that old now)??? :-"