This Disappears When Logged In

Lip Issue

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Cazza205, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi my little guy is shedding but has this sore on the side of his mouth I've been bathing it with warm water and a cotton bud but it seems difficult to shift I'm worried it's something more sinister, can someone reassure me it's nothing major

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it looks like a minor injury (an insect bite?) you can use a diluted iodine solution @ ten parts water to one part iodine, gently dab it once per day, do not rinse off. If after a few days it seems to be worsening, best to see a vet.

Cazza205 likes this.
  3. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

Ah ok great thanks a mill there's nothing on the inside of his mouth so I was just curious I'll pick that up and see how he goes :) he only gets crickets and meal worm don't like giving him too many meal worms though so I've ordered some supers, the last meal worms I got seem to be shedding very quick and turning white not quite beetle yet, are they better to give at this stage than before they shed the exoskeleton?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Mealworms are o.k to feed at all life stages although they aren`t the most nutritious prey, roaches are excellent if you can get them. If crickets are loose in the enclosure that might explain the small "wound"?

Cazza205 likes this.
  5. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

I'll try get the roaches I've tried him with locus was having none of it almost like as if he was scared of them, I try not let them free tbh but I work nights so something he's fed be another and they aren't as villillant as me I literally feed him by hand or thongs and if he's not hungry I take them away. What's that you have in the picture there?

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can I ask if you`re in the U.K (you mention trying locusts which are also an excellent prey)?
    The avatar shows my male Varanus salvator macromaculatus (Asian water monitor).

7. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

I'm in Ireland, the petco has shocking variety of lizard chow just crickrts and mealies, I have a lad from a local pet store ordering me in some supers so I'll get on to him about the roaches next. Ah ok I thought it was a Komodo at first glance haha just wantched one of them take down a buffalo, don't see much of lizards on nat geo wild ( my fav channel) so what does he eat, he looks massive in the pic, he would inhale my lil dude for an appetiser, what do you feed him?