This Disappears When Logged In

Line breeding (aka inbreeding)

Discussion in 'General' started by kremlinator, Jun 11, 2007.

?

Do you practise line breeding (aka. inbreeding)?

1. Yes. Inbreeding only hurts people in my opinion

5.0%
  2. Sometimes if I need some extra cash from a clutch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never! I realize the genetic pool of captive herps is restricted enough as is

45.0%
  4. I don't breed animals.

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

Well then there are different meanings in the UK. Line breeding is the same as in breeding here. Mostly due to wanting to produce animals that command higher prices, no matter what spin the producer puts on it. What you describe as line breeding to me is probably something that occurs naturally in wild populations, especially where habitate is limited. But then again you have situations like the golden lanceheads.

The UK and Europe tend to not use CBB as a description of animals bred in captivity. They use CB or CH, which to a lot of us can mean hatchlings or neonates from WC females that happen to be hatched or born in captivity or are "farmed" in the country of origin.

When someone advertises/offers "pairs" from the same litter, what do you think they are promoting? You use the term "Accepted act" in the UK, I'll bet proportionally, there are as many against it there as against it here in the US.

Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.