This Disappears When Logged In

Lighting...

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Onzz20, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onzz20

Onzz20 Member

What's the best bulb to use? I have a ceramic heat emitter, is that fine? It worries me that there's no light.. Don't they need light?

2. Onzz20

Onzz20 Member

Is it a good idea to use both incandescent bulb & the heat emitter? or can I just use that heat emitter. also, what should I cover half of my tank with to keep the humidity in?? a towel isn't really doing it for me.

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I use both a CHE and a normal bulb. The CHE for temp and the regular bulb for normal day cycle. What size tank do you have, and what are the temps and humidity ?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Since they are nocturnal, they do not require any special bulb. Any household bulb will do for the photo-period. Depending on location of your tank, you may not need an additional bulb. My BRB is next to another lit tank, and gets enough light through the walls. (Do not place tanks near windows)

As for humidity, there are a dozen options. Substrate can make a huge difference. Lid can be covered with plexiglass, plastic (plastic bag, old shower curtain, you name it) some people use foil, you could use a piece of wood (waterproofed of course, and thoroughly de-fumed and dried)

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

PLEASE be sure that your Ceramic Heat Emitter is protected and cannot be touched by the snake. My rainbow climbed up, wrapped herself around the protective cage of the CHE, crushed it and cut herself on the wire -- fortunately she didn't get burned, but the tear on her skin was horrible and had to be sutured.
    You can use a normal light bulb -- again out of reach of the snake. I used full spectrum florescent bulbs for our snakes, so you can see the pretty rainbow colors.
    I don't understand why screen top tanks are still being produced and sold for snakes. The air circulation is ineffective and humidity control is very difficult! Dragoness made some good suggestions for covering it.
    I would suggest offering your snake a moist hide box as well.

6. Onzz20

Onzz20 Member

I have a 40gal tank. The temp on the cool side is about 75-78 and on the warm side its about 85-88. The humidity stays around 50-60% I keep a wet towel on half of the screen top. Then I have my two bulbs on the other half, safely away from Worm :] I have two water dishes in the tank.. It's just soooo hard keeping the humidity up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.