This Disappears When Logged In

lighting question

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by metallica50, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metallica50

metallica50 Active Member

I was testing my lighting tonight for my beardie that will be coming at the end of this week hopefully. I bought a 100 watt household bulb but it did not get my 20 gal long tank basking area to 105 degrees or the aquariums temperature 85 degrees. What light would you reccomend? Is an exo terra day glo basking tight beam bulb good? If it is what wattage should i get? For the uvb i got a reptisun 5.0

Thanks

2. Mark

Mark Elite Member

I am an iguana guy but as all you need is heat I would go with a normal light bulb as you have UV covered. A heat emitter will also work at night as a dark source. The wattage is hard to tell you without seeing the setup, even then there is a lot of guess and check involved. I am a big fan of the heat emitter sold thru reptileuv.com when pluged into a thermostat.

Mark

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are you using to measure temperatures? If it is one of the stick on tapes it is not givng you an accurate reading. Unless you have the tank in a cold location would think a 100 watt bulb would do it.
    The home type light bulbs are fine and the pricey reptile basking bulbs won't do anything different except empty your wallet faster.

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I agree with Merlin on this one, I use a good uvb bulb and then a regular household bulb with a reflector for heat.

5. metallica50

metallica50 Active Member

thanks for your help guys i fixed my problem.

6. Mark

Mark Elite Member

I've always read that reptisun 5x are about the best you can get until you jump to MVB. What tubes do you rate higher than a reptisun/iguana-sun 5.0?

Personally I use a EB MegaRay Flood but am just curious. I used to use the same type of set up as you Jay but have now moved my lights inside and scraped the reflector.

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I only use the reflectors on heat lamps, for most of my critters I use the reptisun 5.0 or the desert sun 7.0 I do have a megaray for an Iguana that I am fostering, she came to me recovering from mbd. Almost all my enclosures have both types of lights.
    The megaray will be replacing everything here as the lights reach their expiration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.