This Disappears When Logged In

Lighting Idea. Do You Think Its Worth While?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by mayhmmaydn, Aug 20, 2013.

1. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

So I have this super long light bar from an aquarium that I don't use. I don't know if they even make UVB this length.. But since I have babies and Extra tanks going into use, Do you think its worth finding a UVB that fits and running in across several tanks Versus buying even more lights and fixtures?

DO they even sell UVB this long? Ill have to check. I just didn't know if the UVB was stable as long as this tube.. They are BIG tubes.

2. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

3EDD48BB-orig.jpg

Forgot to add pic

Attached Files:

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a standard four foot fixture. Yes they make tubes that long and I have seen people run such a setup over several cages. No sense not using a fixture you already have.

4. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Wow that is a long light. Usually you see those on ceilings lol

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

It would help if you measured the bulb itself (there should be info printed on near the end of each bulb)...although they appear to be 4' t8s it's tough to accurately guage the length and type based on a photo. As for your question pertaining to using a single fixture to span multiple tanks, it depends on whether or not you can get the UVB close enough to each basking platform (inside 12"). You also need to ensure that the platform is raised in order to provide areas with little to no UVB in the rest of each tank. If you have the money to spare I would personally go with new t5 HO fixtures with Arcadia 12% or ZooMed 10.0 t5 HO tubes, but only because they perform significantly better over longer periods of time.

6. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Vers Ive been looking at the 10.0 HOs. Im just trying to plan ahead as the babys grow. I hate moving the dome fixtures and possibly blowing the CFL.s Id rather go with tube. Its just a matter of being as efficient as possible. These little monsters are eating ALOT. now!
    the conscern I was having is because the bulbs are a lot bigger than the ones I see in the stores. not just longer but bigger around. like over an inch is seems. heehee

7. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

yes they are 4 foot by 1 inch tubes. originally pen plax sea views for my old aquarium.

8. Vers

Vers Elite Member

It's good you're looking to replace the CFL UVB bulbs--they aren't good for much. If the bulbs in the linear fixture are 1" in diameter they are t8 fluorescents (again, if should give you specific info on the bulb itself). A few manufacturers do make 48" UVB bulbs, including both Arcadia and ZooMed.

9. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

I just checked I nto the zoomed Im going to order them. The old bulbs were so dusty that when I pushed the dust away to read the lamp info... the ink went with it! hahaha. yah.. that's bad. The HO lights say for deeper penetration of more that 12 inchs and works great on screens. I may just put it over my adults and bring the adult strips to the kids. lol. no.. that would work... hmm Ok back to using it only on the kids. and their lids have either slide tops or hinges so ill just make the opening in the back and lay the light across the top at a safe distance. should be fine. If not ill break out the Rubbermaid tubs again and swap over again.. babies are a pain in the butt! lolol but a delightful pain. ((pooping maniacs)

10. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I hope you haven't ordered them yet! You cannot use HO bulbs in a non-HO (Normal Output/NO) fixture...you need to stick with standard t8 bulbs. HO bulbs require HO ballasts in order to run properly.

EDIT: I just ran a search for NO t8 10.0 ZooMed bulbs but all I seemed to come up with were their new HO variants--perhaps they discontinued them? If anything there are always Arcadia non-HO bulbs to choose from...but again, make sure you confirm the bulb type before you order.

11. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

12. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

so basically this light fixture is useless. I went to arcadia and looked at the NO bulbs. they say T5s Mines a T8 I thought.. Oh brother... its ok ill stick with what I have for now and continue searching.. it was just a thoughts. Thanks so much for letting me know about HO and NO. I wouldn't have figured that out. althoughhhhhhhhhh that could explain why my new bulb wont work in an old fixture I have.. hmmmmm maybe the fixture isn't broken its just an NO not an HO. Thanks Vers! I appreciate you!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I provided a link on the previous page for Arcadia 48" NO t8 bulbs...

14. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

I have that exact same fixture. Like literally. Exactly the same. What I did was change the ballast to accept a T5 light instead of T8. The light bar will take the T5 but what will happen is they flicker (its wicked cool but prob not healthy for the bulb! hahaha) So if you change the ballast (look at Lowe's explain what you need - they have it). It works fine. Thats what I did with mine anyhow. And Zoo Med and Arcadia make a light for that. Uhm I think...Ya i am right...here these are T8

Repti-Sun 5.0 UVB 48" T-12 Bulb

EDIT - btw you have to have a light in both or they dont work right. Something about it being bi directional or something I don't understand? If you do change the ballast to T5 you have to get a standard fluro tube or TWO UVB bulbs. I found that out the hard way.

15. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Both bulbs work in the fixtures right now they just are not uvb bulbs. I was thinking of putting it across the center of 3 20g's with 2 babies in each and put their light fixtures on a new tank for the babies that will be hatching in a few weeks. I cannot have flickering. It will give me wicked migraines and can cause a seizure. That reptisun is only a 5.o AND its a t12 which isn't my size either lol. I measured the bulb its 1 inch across so its a t8 Thanks for the Tip TigerIvy!! Youre always so much help[!

16. Vers

Vers Elite Member

May, did you click on the link I provided for the Arcadia t8s on the first page?

17. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

sweet they make T8's in that length? I will definitely have to remember that. Course when I got the lights I couldn't afford them anyhow...I had to make due with what I could afford.

*face palm* I need to read more carefully

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

hint: the link is the word arcadia.

19. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

I got it Matt. Thanks!! Im debating right now on the arcadia vs the repti. I don't see HO on the repti they are selling there. same place.
    Honestly was hoping to save a little money because these babies are eating pooping machines and that's xtra food money for us. None of the tanks are much more than 12 inches away from the animals in height. I could "technically" get away with the 5.0....
    Like I said. 20 bucks will feed them more. lol. Youre awesome!!

20. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

T-8 and T-5 also require different sockets as the pin spacing is different. However the sockets are usually cheap. T-8 and T-12 have the same pin spacing.