This Disappears When Logged In

Lighting Help

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by giveuptheghost, Dec 8, 2017.

1. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Established Member

I have an AP carpet cage for my JCP. It came with a fluorescent light that is connected to the ceiling of the cage by sliding on 2 little screws. Problem is my snake is a punk and has broke the screws and pulled the light down twice now.

So I am trying to find another lighting solution. I have tried 2 types of stick-on lamps like you might put in a closet or cupboard, 1 fluorescent and 1 LED, but neither is bright enough. I thought the LED was, but it's been a couple days and it is already dim. They are battery powered, but I wouldn't think it would drain the battery that fast- but then, they are designed for cupboards or closets, not to be on 8-12 hours straight.

Any ideas? She is a pretty snake and a great display (as opposed to my BRB, who spends all day in his hide), so I would really like to be able to see her in the cage during the day. It's a black cage, so very dark in there without lighting.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Skip the battery powered solutions, even if you manage to find something bright enough, you'll spend more on batteries by far than you would on electricity. And I'm trying to understand how the snake could actually break the screws, or do you mean that they pulled out of the plastic? And is the snake laying on the fixture or something to be able to exert that kind of force on it? Where is the fixture mounted? Know what, post a pic of the setup if possible, should answer most of my questions and save some time, lol.

3. giveuptheghost

This is the only pic of the setup I have on my phone. I'll take some better ones when I get home tonight.

The light is in the back, attached to the ceiling. I have no idea how she is doing it, but I have no other explanation.

Attached Files:

4. giveuptheghost

These pics show the back of the lamp and the little holes the screws slide on, as well as an intact lamp (from my BRB's cage).

Attached Files:

5. giveuptheghost

back of lamp

Attached Files:

6. Owen Baranoski

Owen Baranoski Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how your fixture is set up, but what if you were to drill holes and twist together with some wire? Not sure if that helps at all, but it might be something you could you with...

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Ok, it didn't look like it, but is there and edge of the fixture anywhere where the snake can get part of its body on top of the fixture at all? Still kind of guessing, but it looks as if the snake is either wedging itself on top of some part of the fixture or between the fixture and a cage wall, and then pushing on it. And they can exert a surprising amount of force on things when they want to. So look for ways it might be able to leverage itself against the fixture and cause the damage, like maybe between the back of the fixture and the back of the cage if there is a gap.
    Now depending on how handy you are, you might be able to dismantle the fixture, and bolt it to the cage interior by running machine screws in from the outside and securing the back of the fixture with a nut and wide washer, to increase the strength of the mounting point. It will depend on how the fixture comes apart. Another option would be to look into replacing the fixture with something else, home depot in my area has some LED strip lights that look like a really good option for cage lighting, though I haven't had a chance to get one to test yet. Anyway, hope some of this rambling helps, lol.