This Disappears When Logged In

Lighting And Heating Questions

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by CitizensOfTheWomb, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Hello,

I am planning on getting a northern BTS next year. In the meantime I am workifng on setting up the enclosure.
    I was wondering if the light/heat fixture pictured would be sufficient. Also if anyone has advice on which bulbs to use for heating and lighting that would be great.

The basking spot will be 10 to 12 inches from the fixture.

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!

20171103_114824.jpg 20171103_114835.jpg

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

CitizensOfTheWomb likes this.
  3. Thank you for the info. I guess I could just use it for heat and buy a separate one for lighting.

Appreciate the help!

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, what size and type of enclosure are you planning on using?

5. I am going to use 40 gallon breeder. ( 36in×18in×17in ) I will section it off when I first get my skink as it will be a baby.

6. I am going to use 40 gallon breeder. ( 36in×18in×17in ) I will section it off when I first get my skink as it will be a baby.

Please ignore the double reply.:confused:

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Making the fishtank even smaller will make it more difficult to create a decent temp and humidity range.
    Would you be willing to build/have made a solid wooden enclosure with a glass front from day one which could house the lizard it`s whole life?

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ll try my best..... ;)

9. The enclosure I'm using will hopefully house the skink for its whole life. I am just sectioning it off while it is young. It will likely only be 4 to 6 weeks old when I get it so I don't want it to have to move more than a foot or so to get to food,water,heat,etc. I was thinking of using a small UTH with a thermostat to control the temps better while it is young. From what I have read norhtern BTSs don't require too high of humidity but I will be providing a humid hide.
    I plan on setting everything up well before I get the lizard so if I have trouble with temps and humidity I will look into getting a different enclosure.

I do love the look of those front opening wooden enclosures though. I will keep an eye out for one on Craigslist.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you link me to your source/s of information on what these animals require in captivity?
    Why on earth are you insisting the lizard should not move more than one foot in any direction? There is so much absolute garbage "out there", and for beginners like yourself it`s not at all easy to know the good info from the bad!
    There is no way a 40 gallon fishtank can house an adult with a potential size of around 60cm (2 feet).

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I cannot agree that the enclosure in the video is large enough for an adult Blue tongue, the animal is clearly longer than the enclosure is wide!? I would suggest a minimum size for one single adult of around 4L x 2W x 1.5H (feet) which will enable a decent temp and humidity gradient and abviously allow for some exercise inside the tank.
    I do agree that there must be at least several hides throughout, I personally would also offer more ground cover especially for younger animals.
    I`ve seen on a number of caresheets that a 10 gallon fishtank is suitable for housing a baby, I again completely disagree, it will be extremely difficult to provide the temps and humidity required in such a small space.
    Edit: My advise is based on my personal experience with these animals both in the wild and in captivity.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  12. Ok so I went to my LPS yesterday and they said they could order me a 5ft×2ft×18in front opening enclosure. It isn't wood though, it's melamine. Do you think that would work?

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think you could make a solid plywood enclosure for possibly half the price they are likely to charge. Melamine will fail once the surface gets penetrated, although even an adult Blue tongue is very unlikely to scratch through and the humidity range won`t be particularly high so in this case it could work. Can you get a photo of the enclosure?