This Disappears When Logged In

Light Protectors

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by bigjerm, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigjerm

bigjerm Member

Does anyone have any ideas on constructing light protectors? I am currently building a wooden enclosure with internal lights and need a way to protect my babies from being burnt on the che and nocturnal light.

2. inkman

inkman Elite Member

in the past I always used a layer of chicken wire then a layer of metel mesh screen u can pick both those items at home depot first place the chicken wire around the bulb and then use the screen in you resses to guard the herps from getting in there

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You could also build a false ceiling under the lights with mesh. Put a flip up door near the top to access them.

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Very important

Light protectors and especially cages around CHEs are VERY VERY important.
    Even if you have ground dwelling snakes and you think "they'll never go up there" -- guess what? they do!!
    When we had lamps and CHEs, we used cages like Inkman suggested: wire mesh. For the babies, you can cover that with a VERY VERY fine grade mesh.
    The most important thing is to make sure you have a really tight fit against the ceiling.
    I've heard horror stories of animals squeezing in and not being able to get out again. Fried to death...:eek:

Here's an example of what we used -- I painted it green with some water-based acrylic paint so that it would look a bit nicer than the grey:

[​IMG]

Good luck!

5. bigjerm

bigjerm Member

Thats a great idea. What is it and where did you get it?

6. BlackJack

I live in Switzerland and I ordered the first ones from a reptile shop here. I also made a few myself. It's not too difficult but it's best if you can use a soldering iron.
    You just have to cut a piece of sturdy mesh (the smaller the squares the better), 9.5 inches high and I'm not sure how long, but enough to get a diameter of 7-8 inches. Then you have to cut a circular piece for the bottom. Roll the sheet into a tube -- you can double roll it for more stability, tie the sides with cable binders or wire, solder the connection, add the bottom piece, tie and solder, then cut the cable binders/wires off when the solder cools and file down any sharp points. (This is very important, as my rainbow boa climbed up and squeezed the cage, caught herself on a sharp spur and ripped a huge piece of skin off of her side. It was horrendous! She had to be put under anesthetic and have it stitched up)
    I recommend using eye screws (3-4) into the ceiling of your terrarium and then using cable binders through them and through the 3rd or 4th row of mesh down, so that when you tighten the cable binders, it pulls the cage firmly against the ceiling with no gaps for anyone to crawl through. To change the lightbulbs, you just have to snip the cable binders, take off the cage, and then get new binders to re-attach.

Here's the add for the one from the reptile store; it's a better picture of how it should look when it's done.

[​IMG]

It measures is 7.5 inches in diameter and 9.5 inches high.

7. bigjerm

bigjerm Member

Great idea and tips!! Thanks alot..

8. BlackJack

You're welcome! Happy to help :D

9. bigjerm

bigjerm Member

This is what I went with, its a office supply wire mesh box. I added 1x2 wood to the top to bring it down a little. 100_1176.jpg (29.4 KB)

Attached Files:

10. BlackJack

That looks great! :) As long as the animals can't squeeze into it and the lights don't melt the cage, it should work fine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.