This Disappears When Logged In

Light Overlap And Heat

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by T-Rection, May 30, 2018.

1. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Just a couple questions about the lighting of my savannah monitor tank, i bought 3 halogen bulbs that i have all set up, they are par 38 and 70Watt, but the beams are a little bit apart from eachother so im not sure if thats ok or not, i have taken the temp with a heat gun and a probe thermometer and the temps in the beams are all 70c while the spaces in between are around 58-63c (i will be getting a dimmer tomorrow in case 70c is too high). I dont have anything else in the tank right now so for the time being i was checking my temps with a large plastic container to simulate the sub level but i also feel like i may not be getting a good reading as the plastic isnt going to conduct the heat as good as the stones will..

20180530_213203.jpg

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I normally space them a couple of inches apart, how far are yours spaced, and how are you measuring the surface temp?

3. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

They are 3 inches apart from each other and im using both a heat gun and a digital thermometer to check the temp, i just unscrewed the fixtures a little bit on only one side so i was able to adjust the angle a bit and make it more of a uniform line of light so i think i fixed that issue, as for the actual temp, is 70c too high?

20180531_133546.jpg

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m not sure what difference in terms of surface heat a plastic container would have in comparison to a solid object like stone or wood? 70c is not required but in itself so long as there are cooler areas to retreat to it`s acceptable, the danger is drying out the air and raising the ambient temps too high.

+--
    f

5. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Ok sounds good, i will pick up a dimmer today so i can get it down to about 58-60 just to be safe, the ambient temps on the cool side is 26.2 and the humidity of my room is 53% so the tank is reading 53% as well but i have not added the substrate or anything like that yet