This Disappears When Logged In

Light Fixtures

Discussion in 'Electricity/Wiring' started by EctoJoJo, Jun 15, 2017.

1. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

I am currently drawing up my plans for a melamine enclosure build. I wanted to install a couple incandescent fixtures on the inside for CHE's or spot bulbs. Does anyone know of an easy way to mount / wire them to the ceiling? Possibly anything already wired since my electrical skills are not all that to be desired.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Kind of hard to picture... there's probably tons of ways to do it but I would probably drill a hole through the ceiling and pull the top of a ceramic socket into it and pull wires through. You can seal it up with probably a few things, but DAP makes a high heat mortar sealant that can be used on stoves and grills and such. I would probably use that to reduce risk of fire. To get a better idea of what you are talking about do you have any pics of the plans drawn up? And what are you keeping in it? Will it need an arid environment?

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Or better yet maybe just drill a smaller hole and pull the cords through only and let the light hang. That would keep the hot element farther from the wood. If you need to support the weight on the cord just take some metal wire and screw or staple it to the ceiling in a few places and wrap it a couple of times around the socket. That is if your enclosure is tall enough for the animal not to touch the light, you might need to make some sort of a guard around the light.

4. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

It will be an arid environment with low humidity. So I have been kicking around a screen top to just use my normal fixtures on top.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Use ceramic fixtures.