This Disappears When Logged In

Lets Have Some Fun Post Pics of Your Iguanas {THE IGUANA FEST}

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by goncho, Jan 20, 2010.

1. slack31337

slack31337 Active Member

I am not sure .. that is what I was eluding too when I posted. I have had him for about a year and a half. I was told that he was only a few months old when I got him. I wish I knew for sure.. LOL him. I don't even know if it is a boy or girl.

2. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

If he was a few months old when you got him and have had him for 1 1/2 years then I would say you should be able to tell by now.. Can you get us a good head shot and an underneath shot close to the vent area and inside of the thighs??
    He just didn't look that big sitting there on your shoulder!! :0)

3. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

Ok, I have been looking at the picture you currently have posted and I think you have a female. It would be good to get those under-shots that have been requested by other members, but I'm pretty sure you have a female. Congrats!

4. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

What is it that you see that makes you think it is a female?? Just curiouse.??
    I just think she/he looks pretty small on this guy's back.... Heck I don't think it is even close enough to suggest to me that it is more than a small juvi..
    Just wish the picture was a closer up, shot of the head and of course add the underneath of the body.. To ME that picture is not enough to even guess what I think it is.. I don't know.. That is just the way I look at it..:confused::D

5. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

I was looking at some of the other physical signs. For a year and a half the spikes are aweful small and the jowel does not seem to be engourging much, not for a year and a half anyway. When my males were a year and a half their spikes were probably twice the size and their jowel's were engourged quite a bit more than that.
    My opinion isn't definitve, just that, an opinion. Which is also why I said:
    I still think it's a female though :D

6. slack31337

slack31337 Active Member

sorry have been busy for the last couple days. I will get some close ups of .. her? :)

I'm a pretty big guy too so maybe that is throwing off perspective :)

I will get some better shots tonight and post them when i get a chance, Hopefully we can figure out what it is. We named it LeaZard because well my son names everything what it is. Turtle is trutley, bird is birdy, and Lizard is well LeaZard so if it is a girl she can go by Lea. Thanks for all the help

7. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

great pics

8. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

I think she could also go by Leazar.. Just leave off the "D" That would still be an awesome name..;):)

9. slack31337

slack31337 Active Member

Ok here are some pics I just took.

close up

9jMtj.jpg

Femoral Pores

QSdfQ.jpg

full shot

fgBzl.jpg

So if anyone could let us know what He/She is.. We can finally name her

Attached Files:

10. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

Congratulations, you have a little lady!

11. slack31337

slack31337 Active Member

May I ask how you can tell so definitively?

Since it is a her .. We will call her Lea, Now the teams at my house are unfair. We had a mom and a daughter and a dad and a son .. now we have an extra girl... does anyone know how to tell the sex of a red eared slider.. that is my last resort to have fair teams back in the house :)

Are there any care tips specific for females, that I should be aware of?

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its really still just a guess as to sex.
    The ig isn't quite big enough to know for sure.

13. slack31337

slack31337 Active Member

Interesting .. how old would you say she is .. like I said I have had her for about 18 months and they said she was 2-4 months when I got her. Do you think that is accurate?

14. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Well now, I would not worry about the name at all, whether it is a male or female. Those old days of naming children/pets by "boy" or "girl" names are becoming obsolete. Given him/her a good neutral name, like for instance "splaghmorgy" or "Ig-a-mem-non".

Female slider turtles have shorter tails, a more convex plastron and shorter front claws.:)

15. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

Just going by the fact that you've had her for 18 months (not including the time the pet store had her), my gender process is as follows ;) .

Your ig's jowels: Male iguanas jowels engourge to a rather large size as they age, females stay pretty small. (Ex.) By 18 months my male's jowels were twice the size and my females stayed proportional.

You ig's spikes: Male iguanas spikes tend to grow at a slightly faster rate and they get considerably larger than lose of a female's. (Ex.) My male's spike's are now and were then twice the length of those of my female's.

Your ig's waxy-pores: Male iguanas and female iguanas both have these pores, but male's will enlarge to be about 2-3 times the size of a female's pores. It helps them to make territory and establish dominance. (Ex.) My male's pores secrete this wax and the pores are about the size of a large pin-top. My female's pores are tiny and don't generally secrete much of anything.

Your ig's hips: Now, this point is generally considered as a way to tell gender with iguanas, but from what I've seen and dealt with on a regular basis, I count it, but others probably won't. Where the tail attaches to the hips is generally slightly wider on females then on males. This is to allow for eggs to pass. (Ex.) My female's hips are slightly, but noticably wider than my male's hips.

Now, as Merlin said it is still just a guess. But this is the process I follow to determine sex. You will want to ask a vet for sure and just keep an open mind no matter what. :D

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But to complicate things more, submissive males will often show female characteristics. Its their way of making themselves appear non-threatening to any dominant males.
    As to size. Some are just smaller than others depending on the genetics of their geographical back ground.
    The care that they recieve will also alter their size.

17. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

Very true. But considering that this is the only iguana in the household and it's got so many dark markings (not always, but usually a sign of dominance) I don't believe that it's a male trying to appear non-dominant. I know that some sub-species of green iguana may tend to be smaller (not that I've ever experienced this *sigh* ;) ), but just going off of the coloring and body-shape of this ig, I don't believe that to be the case either. The only thing that seems characteristically different than a "typical" green iguana is the coloring, it seems to be a little more brown and yellow, but that can also be an environmental side-effect rather then a sub-species characteristis (or just the picture).

I'm not saying that my method or my process is "fool-proof" or that I know for certain, but I believe it to be a female. I generally have had my igs sexed by 1 year and so far my "batting-average" on iguana genders has been pretty good, but there is always room for an occassional strike-out. Time will definetely tell and a vet will have a better say than me, someone however many miles away.