This Disappears When Logged In

Leopard Tortoises

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Yvonne G, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

There are two types of leopard tortoise living here, the South African type and the type referred to a Babcockii. I'll refer to them here as the SA leopards and the leopards.

The SA leopards have an old shed that was here on the property when I moved here. I added rigid foam to the inside and covered that with plywood, then I took off the old wood siding on the front of the shed, added rigid foam and plywood. I still have to take off the old siding from the side of the shed, but that's a project for another day.

The side of the shed where the larger SA leopards exit and enter:
    SA leopard a.jpg

You can see their waterer in the foreground. It's a big scoop taken out of the earth then lined with Redi-Mix. Looking off north, you can see their pasture, with their "summer house" in the northeast corner:
    SA leopard b.jpg SA leopard c.jpg
    SA leopard d.jpg

The shed is divided because I have three juvenile SA leopards that share, but they come out the front to a different yard:
    SA leopard h.jpg SA leopard g.jpg

After I sold the Aldabran tortoises I sanitized their yard and shed and moved the leopards(Babcockii, remember?) over to that yard.

SA Leopard f.jpg
    The system here only allows me to upload 10 pictures, so I'll continue the discussion in a new post.

Attached Files:

2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

So, to continue. . . The leopard yard:

leopard yard a.jpg

This is Factory, the tortoise formally known as Prince. . . er. . . uh. . . Cincinatti. She's the mother of 90% of the babies raised here at Kapidolo Farms North (What my partner and I call our leopard operation):
    leopard yard b.jpg

This one was named before I got her. She's Tortellini and only lays a clutch of tiny eggs about every other year. Sometimes they are fertile, sometimes not. I don't think the male likes her much.

leopard yard c.jpg

Their shed:
    leopard yard d.jpg

And the progeny from March and April's clutches that are being kept here until my partner can come up from San Diego and get them to sell:
    leopard yard e.jpg

I'll post a few leopard and SA leopard pictures from my file just to make up the remainder of the 10 I'm allowed:

SA and Babcock females 05-10-14.jpg SA Leopard (Roachie) 4-21-15 b.jpg SA leopard 9-30-14 c.jpg SA leopard female 02-25-15.jpg SA leopard female 07-27-14.jpg

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Wow! I wish I had that kind of space. Although I would also have no self control to what I would use it for.
    Thanks for posting all this?
    What size do those species max out at?

4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

The Babcocki about 20lbs. The SA are supposed to get quite a bit bigger, but I'm starting to wonder about that, as mine are now 8 years old and just slightly larger than my Babcocki. We'll see.

kriminaal likes this.