This Disappears When Logged In

Leopard Geckos Tail Not Fattening.

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by MikyPiky, Jan 19, 2018.

1. MikyPiky

MikyPiky Member

Hello im new to Herp Center and have a few questions to ask. I have two leopard geckos they are about 9 months old. The bigger one is named Jeeva and is female, and the male's name is boyly (They live separately.) Boyly's tail is nice and fat while jeevas is slim, I feed them the same if not Jeeva more. They both get calcium every other feeding and always have a dish of it in their enclosure. So guys do you have any tips on getting her tail fatter and why hers wont grow fat like boyly's??

Any advice and tips would be very much appreciated!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Well my first inclination would be to suggest that you get fecal samples from both animals to a vet to be checked. So long as the animal is eating it should gain weight ok, and the most obvious culprit might be parasites. Also, are the conditions in both cages the same? If the females was a little cooler, it might make it harder for her to gain weight.

3. MikyPiky

MikyPiky Member

The cages are side by side so the temp is the same for both geckos. She always eats the food i set out for her. I think I do see a little change in the tail size after she gets a big meal. I'll keep updating when things change.

Thanks for the advice!!

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

The tail stores the fat that isn't used. If jeeva is bigger, then most of her food is going into her growth. At only 9 months of age it's pretty common not to have a fully fleshed out tail for this reason. I would feed her more than the boy, especially since shes bigger. eventually when she stops growing, more fat will be stored on the tail.

5. MikyPiky

MikyPiky Member

Now that you mention it that makes a lot of sense. I always do feed Jeeva a bit more than boyly so I hope that shes getting enough food.

Thanks soo much for the info!!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

"The cages are side by side so the temp is the same for both geckos. "
    How So? How are you heating? How are you measuring the temps.

7. MikyPiky

MikyPiky Member

My geckos have a thermometer and they have a wet and dry hide on a heating mat. And another hide on the cold side.