This Disappears When Logged In

Leopard Geckos And Ambient Heating

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Psalmopous, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Psalmopous

Psalmopous New Member

I'm picking up some young geckos this thursday, and I have everything I need to keep them I would think, but I do have a question regarding heating that google just can't seem to answer. I keep inverts, tarantulas mostly as my name might give away, and I keep a room in my house heated to around 86F at all times. I figured this would be fine, but after thinking about it I have some questions. First, the room is heated with a space heater controlled by a thermostat.
    Firstly, will this fairly high ambient heat provide enough belly heat to properly allow food digestion ?

And second, how would I go about setting up a temp gradient, if that's absolutely required. I'm getting them from a guy on Craigslist, and from the picture I have seen anything I can provide will probably be better then where they're at now, so my main question is how to make it the best I can

Tl:dr. Is 86F full room heating appropriate for these guys ?

I can also place the container lower or higher for lower or higher temps as well

2. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

This is a good question and I hope more people come along. Because they bask around 90, you could add a small lamp to make a basking area warmer than the ambient temp. A basking platform like slate will absorb heat and make that belly temp. It shouldn't take many watts since the difference to the room is small. Heat pads are common but should probably be used with a thermostat and kept so they can't lay directly on the heated glass. I would attempt to make a gradient the way you said, keeping the tank in a lower position in the room so its maybe in the 70s and use the lamp to bring the basking area up to 90. I googled and saw some of these; Ambient temperature wont serve their digestive needs and 86 isn't warm enough for digestion and is too warm for 24/7. Good looking out.