This Disappears When Logged In

Leopard Gecko Thinks I'm Food; Biting

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Ninfia572, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Ninfia572

Ninfia572 New Member

I am currently taking care of a very interesting Leopard gecko. I've been trying to bond with him, as currently he will not allow me to touch him. I started by feeding him mealworms with my fingers, and he readily takes them.

However, now whenever I stick my hand in, he lunges at me! I realized my mistake and started feeding him with my hand flat on the ground rather than with my thumb and pointer finger, but it hasn't changed how he lunges at my hand.

I went to mist his humid hide and he jumped a couple inches trying to get to my fingers! I'm new to keeping reptiles, but to my understanding leopard geckos don't normally act like this! It's not painful to be bitten, but I'd like to get to hold him at some point, and this has been going on for quite a few months. What should I do?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would suggest increasing his food amount. Sounds like he's hungry.

3. Ninfia572

Ninfia572 New Member

Okay, thank you!

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

And you already realized the issue, but using some sort of tongs is always better than using your fingers.

5. Pip2018

Pip2018 New Member

He seems to have associated that everytime you stuck your hand in his cage, you fed him so now he thinks you are feeding him. Try using a little mealworm dish or tongs when feeding. He will eventually associate the tongs with feeding and not your hand :)

6. Ninfia572

Ninfia572 New Member

Yeah, I've moved to tongs. Thank you!

Atroxus likes this.