This Disappears When Logged In

Leopard Gecko Impaction

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by iwuvmyleo, Jul 1, 2013.

1. iwuvmyleo

iwuvmyleo Well-Known Member

She's been impacted for a while and she's my first Leo so i didn't know that was what was going on. Her legs are shakey, belly distended, not eating, i haven't seen her drink anything but she's been sleeping in/on her water bowl. I started putting drops of olive oil on her nose yesterday and giving warm baths. Idk how often to so these things though. She's young so I'd feel ten times more awful if she didn't make it. How often should I put drops of olive oil on her nose and give baths? Is there anything else that may help? Please, anything. I can't afford the vet right now

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

What is your gecko impacted with? Food? Substrate?

What are her temps, both warm, cool side, and basking spot? How are you measuring the temps?

What does her stool look like, and when was the last time she had a movement?

If it is impaction, for the condition you described, your gecko will very likely require the vet in order to recover. Depending on the type of impaction, there may or may not be something you can do at home.

Are you also rubbing her belly from the top of her abdomen to her vent while she's in the bath? This can help stimulate digestion.

Aside from belly rubs, warm baths, and olive oil, it's also a good idea to increase your gecko's temps to the high end (around 93F on the basking spot) day and night. This can help whether it be impaction or illness.

If you can get a fecal sample, I would suggest getting that to the vet as well. Parasites can also cause the conditions/behaviors you described, and it's very important to figure out the cause in order to successfully treat it.

3. iwuvmyleo

I have a thermometer on top of the substrate on both sides. Warm side is 85 and idk how to increase it. I'm using an under tank heater. I have paper towel substrate. Its food. In her most recent feces it was white with yellow stuff in it. I think that means she passed some of it? I was recently informed that i started getting big meal worms too soon which, when i think back, was shortly before i started seeing these symptoms. Her last bm was two or three days ago. She's not eating, her tail was pretty plump but its getting smaller and i just had one die of chronic impaction, i don't want her going down the same road.

4. cassicat4

Do you have a dimmer on your undertank heater? What type are you using (tropical or desert)? Because the desert ones can reach 110F+ unregulated. You can also supplement with a heat light for now. 85F is a bit too low - you should strive for about 88F-93F on the basking spot. Otherwise, your gecko has difficulty digesting its food, especially chitinous insects such as mealworms.

White with a little yellow is normal coloration for urates. Poop is what you're looking for to see if it's been digested.

If this is a second leo you have with impaction issues, then something isn't right with your husbandry or care. Too low of temps can definitely contribute to impaction. A healthy leo, provided adequate hydration and proper temperatures, rarely has issues digesting mealworms, even large size. The biggest concern with too big of worms is choking.

When was the last time she ate?

5. iwuvmyleo

I got the first Leo from my boyfriend who kept the Leo on sand for eight years. I didn't have him long. I'm thinking his was sand impaction

She was eating....um about a week ago ik for sure

6. cassicat4

Yes, sand is definitely notorious for impaction issues in geckos.
    Do you have a picture of your current leo?