This Disappears When Logged In

LED shoplight

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Darkbird, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Found this at Menards. 32w, 3150 lumens, spectrum of something close to 4100k, though it looks whiter to me. No UV, but so far it seems great for ambient lighting, and no bulbs to replace. My only real criticism is that they gave it a heavy duty 3 wire cord like a standard shop light or power tool, when all it needs is an extremely light duty cord. The fixture itself is so light that the weight of the cord will angle it sideways past 45° if the cord isn't supported. Shown here on my turtle tank, and is actually almost more light than they need. Could be quite useful in larger enclosures to save energy and heat where it's not wanted. Barely gets warm to the touch. 20150107_174413.jpg 20150107_174435.jpg 20150107_174517.jpg

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Interesting. I might have to look around up here for something like that.
    What was your cost on it?

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

4. Darkbird

Yes, that's the same one. Price on the website is a lot less than what I paid though, kind of annoying. And yes, that's a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank from the farm supply place. And there wouldn't be any reason not to put the light inside the cage, it barely gets warm. Even says on it that it's suitable for damp locations. So the only issue in a big vision cage would be mounting and cord routing. It comes with 2 hooks already screwed into it for hanging, so I was thinking that those could be unscrewed, and appropriate screws and holes could then be used to secure it flat to the top of a cage. Only issue would be that cord, which would require that you either cut a pass through hole iin the right spot in the cage, or maybe changing out the cord to something a bit easier to route. I plan On buying more of these when my taxes come back, so if I hack one for a cage, I'll update this thread. And I have at least 3 cages these would work in at different stages right now.

5. Darkbird

Didn't see your question Mike. My cost was a little over 70 on sale, and I see on their website that they list it as 40. One other thing I forgot to mention, the light output is almost equal to that of 2 35w 48" t8 tubes. I think it comes up a little less than 100 lumens short.

6. Darkbird

Too late to edit, but I see they're just on sale right now. May have to run over there.....

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yes it shows that sale price til the 27th I think.

I'm already drilling for the heat panel and probe, I suppose I could drill a little bigger.

8. Darkbird

It should be noted that the power cord comes out of the top of the unit, rather than an end as is more usual. So the hole for the cord would have to be directly over the fixture, the the fixture would have to be hung an inch or so down for clearance. It probably wouldn't be an issue, there's really nothing on it for a lizard to grip if they made the jump.
    And I'm planning on buying a bunch of these, I want to re-do the lighting in my house to all LED, and I need several in the basement alone. Want to have some for cages too. Come on taxe return......

9. kriminaal

That's not a bad price when you consider how long LED's last.
    Unfortunately all I found up here so far costs me $175

10. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Looks like I can't get one, I don't have a Menard's and it's not available for online purchase. But I'll keep looking, hopefully find something similar.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Amazon has similar products, but not that cheap.

I want to switch all my cages and home bulbs to LED as well. Save on my already sky-high power bills.

Darkbird likes this.
  12. kriminaal

I found some 60watt household equivalent LED bulbs on sale right now and after rebates for $4.

13. Darkbird

Same here. We currently use compact fluorescents or other florescent lighting in everything except the basking bulbs in cages and any uv producing lights. I can cut the wattage in my basement alone in half this way.
    I did get a couple more of the shop lights a couple days ago. Ended up hanging them in my workshop. 32w instead of 80w, and eventually that will be ×5, so I'll be saving 240w in that part of the basement alone. The only thing is that the rezt of the basement has 150w equivalent compact florescent bulbs, and I havent found any LED screw-ins that equal that at a reasonable price.

14. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Been looking for something to cover bright sunlight over the range of the tank, 48", and this looks like a no brainer :) Adding a UVB basking light and I'd still be saving energy over the 3 bulbs I'm currently using.

No one has moved into Bluegenes tank, still can't bring myself to take it apart yet... But I'll be getting this light for it when I do get to it.

Darkbird likes this.
  15. Darkbird

Ok everyone, made another little discovery over the weekend, and this one may help those of you in Canada. Found another LED shoplight at Sam's Club this weekend, and I think this one could be useful to us as well. Downsides, much larger casing more like a regular shoplight, and 40w instead of 32. Advantage is it's 5000k instead of the 4100k, and it's only $35. I also disassembled this unit, and there are definitely some DIY possibilities, but they may require advanced soldering and such to really take advantage of it. I have 6 of the other units prepaid at menards, and when I get them I will be posting a direct comparison shot of the 2 lighting the same cage interior. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want a refund on some of the others so I can get more of these.

Attached Files:

DwarvenChef likes this.
  16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Wow, I'll have to check the local Sam's club next time.