This Disappears When Logged In

Least Stressful Way To Move With Leopard Gecko?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by porcelain, May 28, 2015.

1. porcelain

porcelain Well-Known Member

I'm going to be moving from Georgia to Washington in July, and I have a ~2 year old leopard gecko that I plan to take with me.

I've been planning to just take her in the car with me, but I'm starting to worry that it'll be really hard on her. The driving plan is:
    GA-MO
    MO-KS
    KS-UT
    UT-WA,

with a couple day- to week-long stays in each place, during which she'd be in her normal habitat. I've driven with her from Kansas to Georgia before, about 14 hours in one go and just kept her in a plastic container with paper towels lining it, and she seemed to do fine, but I'm worried about moving her from her habitat to plastic container in a bumpy car every few days. I'm wondering if it would be better to have my parents ship her overnight once we get settled, but that idea makes me nervous as well.

Any advice on what to do? And if shipping seems to be the better idea, what is a reliable service to ship her with? I did a quick search and found the sites "Ship Your Reptile" and "Reptile Express" but I have no experience with shipping reptiles. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

2. ferasaeva

ferasaeva Well-Known Member

In my opinion I think taking the gecko in the car may be the better option, but that may be my fear of shipping reptiles. I think shipping may be just as stressful as the car ride but at least with the car ride you can keep an eye on the gecko. In the end it's your decision, and you should do whatever you think is best for your pet :).

3. porcelain

Thanks for the reply! I do agree that shipping in general seems like it would be more stressful than the car, it's just the constant resettling her from home to container that is making me rethink it. I feel like I'm leaning towards still taking her in the car, but wanted to get some opinions from others who might have more experience :)

4. Horrorphile

Horrorphile Active Member

I know many people who have done similar travels with no ill effects. Personally I wouldn't worry at all about travelling in the car with her.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would take her with me. I used to work Airfreight and saw the way that boxes were handled. Fragile? pshaw!
    And instead of changing from transport to habitat, just set the transport habitat up and leave her in that till the trip is through.

6. porcelain

Thanks everyone! This makes me feel much more confident about taking her with me for the trip.

What would be a good transport habitat?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A small sterilite tub.

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I would take her on the drive. I've done many interstate journeys with a car full of critters.
    Is she generally easy going or does she get stressed easily?
    I would consider putting together a travel tank in a sterilite bin with nothing that can shift and crush her (use Tupperware or cardboard for hides instead of logs or rocks) and you may only want to provide water when you're not driving or you could get a swampy mess if you spill.