This Disappears When Logged In

Latest Rescue

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Jay DeMore, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

This is a burm we picked up about an hour ago, it was just too big for the owner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They only had it for 2 weeks when they found out how big they get and decided they couldn't keep it.

2. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

Mine is almost that size. It is hard to afford feeding alone. Each time she feeds she gets bigger. Out of curiosity, what would you feed that snake and how often?

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

She is going to get 2 f/t jumbo rats every two weeks until she tells me otherwise. Then I will order some frozen rabbits from Rodentpro.com.

4. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

Its such a shame that so many large species of snakes like that one are abandoned in one way or another, people just don't look deep enough into the future with some animals. She does look good, shipping is going to be a killer on rabbits though, well on most frozen it can be a killer on price, always good to have local people to get rabbits from. We just picked up 43 more wednesday here :)

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't get it, Jay... they bought her that size and didn't know how big she'd get? Did they think she was full-grown?
    Who could have sold them that snake and not passed on that little tiny gem of information?

Oh well, enough ranting... glad she found a good home with you!! She's a beauty.

6. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome Jay, well at least we know she is in good hands now.

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Here's the story, she was bought at a local auction. Listed as an 8 foot female. The guy who bought her never saw her out of the pet carrier she was in. He has a Red Tail Boa and thought they were similar (I know get educated, then buy). When he got it home he researched and found out how big they get. He called a local pet shop, who got him in touch with me. I've already done a walk to the neighbors with her, they have a four year old that loves my critters, and she was phenominal. However she is strong as an ox (I'm no lightweight and I had a time with her) So she may end up going to a local zoo, I haven't decided yet. We'll keep working with her and see, I've got a couple of the local camps lined up for talks soon.

8. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

You wouldn't believe the amount of people out there who don't give out full size information on large species of snakes, all they care about is making a few bucks, its the people that buy the animals that have to deal with size issues and such. I know when I am producing retics and such here, they will not be going to just anyone who is willing to fork up the cash for them, but then again we generally inform anyone who gets things from us what is what with that animal. I know what your talking about when you say she is strong as an ox, we no longer have any burms here, although I do miss the two that I used to have, I would love to get into them sometime again, really the true dwarf burms are very neat, and being that they are already being crossed into the exsisting burm morphs, maybe it will have some effect on the size of the regular burms, and many people who get them in the years to come, won't have to abandon them as so many do.

9. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

rrrrrg... :mad:
    it makes me mad that people dont research an animal before they buy it. my moto is that if i cant care for it i wont buy it...
    but at least they were good enough people to give it to someone responsible and not just throw it in their backyard
    but i especially have it when people arent properly informed about the animal by the seller

10. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

it's a good thing you were there to lend a hand Jay.

She is a real looker....good luck

11. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Awesome snake Jay...some people wont learn ...sheesh....Lyn

12. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Awesome Jay, what a beauty and good luck with her.

I think the responsibility falls on both the seller and the buyer - I would not buy something without researching, however, unfortunately a lot of people rely on the seller to tell them the truth about the animal and its care.

I know of a couple of pet shops local to us, and some breeders, who will not breed and sell such reptiles as burmese pythons and iguanas, because so many are abandoned and not cared for properly, mainly due to the sizes they can reach.

Good luck again Jay, and let us know what happens with her. She is gorgeous, and good on you for rehoming her.

13. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Awesome snake,Jay.The best of luck for finding her a good home to stay!!

14. Allecto

Allecto Elite Member

Thankfully they actually decided to call for someone, instead of dumping the poor thing.

15. topacelot

topacelot Elite Member

very cool...glad she's in more educated hands now...that always bugs me...uninformed ppl who don't do research...at least it's not in bad shape

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.