This Disappears When Logged In

Komodo Dragon in Texas?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ofsthun, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ofsthun

Ofsthun Elite Member

I just came back from the local pet store (picking up some dogfood) and I was looking at the reptiles they have now cause they get different ones all the time from local breeders in Dallas and Austin. They have some Iggy's as usual and some leopard and fat tail geckos and a few "red Tail Boas" and an Albino Burm. So a lady was asking about how big the Burm and the Boas get adn I was explainin it to her. She told me that a family out in Sweetwater (small town near Abilene) had a Komodo Dragon and that it ate their Dog but it's nice to the kids. I told her that it's probably a Savanna Monitor or Nile Monitor which look similar to the komodo dragon because they are all Monitors. She argued with me for 30 minutes that it was a Komodo Dragon not a Monitor. So I told her that if they really do have a Komodo dragon and they got caught with it they'd be spending a long time in Jail. She said everybody there knows they have it. I just walked away laughing because I know it's just a Savanna or Nile Monitor but she's been convinced it's a Komodo Dragon.

Oh this lady doesn't work there she was just looking at the reptiles but it's just so funny that the Hicks out here would believe that... man the locals are kind of out there.

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

But I saw it on TV.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It could also have been a water monitor. That is what was used as a double for a komodo dragon in a couple of movies and the owners may have been yanking her chain. You are right the chances on an individual having possession of a komodo are slim and none!
    Seeing as how a Komodo IS a monitor she doesn't have a clue!

4. Ofsthun

Ofsthun Elite Member

Well no she didn't have a clue at all she didn't think it was the more widely pet the Savanna or Nile Monitor. It's true it could be a Water monitor but She didn't know other than that she was told it was a Komodo Dragon.

Just another one of those things you see once in a while where you all you can do is laugh!!!

5. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

hmmm.....interesting
    well, next time u see her ask her if its 10 feet long and drools poison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.