This Disappears When Logged In

Kingsnake question(s)

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by BrianS, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

As you all know I just got my Cal King on Monday. I gave it a f/t pinkie a few hours ago and still hasn't taken it yet. I know that it might take some time for it to get settled in and all but I was wondering how long should a person leave a pinky out for a snake. I obviously don't want to leave it in there real long because of the stinch after awhile lol.
    Is it hard to get Kings to take f/t pinkies? I don't have easy acces to live ones well unless I drive an hour to get them. My little corn will take one as soon as it is dropped in and has since I got it. I am just wanting this one to do well. Oh the ambient temp here in the room is around 80F. Do I need to give it some more heat? I can do that if needed.
    Thanks in advance for answers :)

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I've read that you can re-freeze the animal once. You might know this already, but you shouldn't offer the pinky to any of your other snakes. (Quarantine.)

He probably just needs more settling in time. I had no problem feeding my BRB right away (she's a great eater!) but my BP is a finicky eater and he refused food for over a week.
    I just read that they should have a temp range of 80-85 degrees on the hot side and 70-75 degrees on the cool side.(Never should go under 70 degrees)

Here is a caresheet I just found... I'm wondering if it was written by "our" Todd?? http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/462.html

Give him some more settling in time and try again in 5 days or so.

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I would have left him to settle for a week before trying to feed initially, but for now leave him for a further 5-7 days before you try again. Don't handle him at this time, or at least keep it to a minimum.

Your temps need to be warmer - warm side of 85f. The care of cali kings is very similar to corn snakes. They are a hardy species, but we have found with ours that he can be a fussy feeder over winter, as a mature adult.

Regarding f/t - i have read that you can refreeze if you do it almost immediately, but we never refreeze anything. I wouldn't personally take the risk. If our snakes won't feed straight away we leave it in their enclosure over night. If it's not gone by morning then it goes in the bin. Couple of questions - where did you feed him? Although most agree that it is preferable to feed in a separate container I would feed him his first few feeds in his tank, where he will feel more secure. How did you feed him? - did you dangle it first to immitate live, or just put it in?, try different strategies, and eventually you will find the one that's best for him. Some of our snakes will only eat if you dangle it for them, others will only eat if they are left alone overnight with the food item.

Hope this helps. Don't worry, he needs time to settle in to his new home. If you can find out info from his previous owner/seller - e.g.what he was eating, how often, how, etc, then that may make things easier on you.

Good luck :)

4. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I agree with bitis, My king has refused a few feeds this winter, he seems to be eating every 2 weeks now instead of one, he will feed one week then miss the other, they are sent to try us lol, :p next time you feed, try warming the pinky under a lamp thats what I have had to do with one of my baby corns who wont feed, he snapped it up once warm, fussy thing wont eat it cold, good luck next time round, my smaller king the albino banded, is one of them that doesnt seem to care she ate from the first day I brought her home, :eek:

I'm sure when your little guy has settled in, he will be eating just fine for you :D

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can leave a pinkie in the cage overnight but if the snake hasn't eaten in that time it isn't going to so pitch it (the pinkie not the snake! ;) . You can refreeze a pinkie providing it hasn't been thawed out for over an hour. And only refreeze once.
    I'm with Rachel. Bring the heat up a bit. Leave the snake alone for a week and don't handle it then try again. If the snake has been only fed live you may have to do the pinkie dance!(wiggle the pink in front of it with tongs). Make sure its warm enough. Once mine got the idea I can just lay the prey in the container and wham!

6. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Thanks for all the replies :) I will wait another week before I try again. I will just leave it alone and let it get settled in.
    I guess I was wanting to be like the baby cornsnake I got. It will eat a pinky as soon as it hits the ground lol ;)

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL give him a bit. It should happen! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.