This Disappears When Logged In

Kingsnake Care

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Beastie, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

I need a bit of advice for my Kingsnake's care. She is in a 55gallon tank with a heat cord underneath and a red spot lamp on top. I was using just the heat cord but I was only getting readings in the mid 70's for temp on the hot side so I added the bulb for extra. I plan to get a CHE but I had this on hand already so I'm using it temporarily. Now I'm getting mid-high 80's on the hot side and mid 70's on the cool side. The room she's in (which also houses our BP and tarantulas) it maintained around 75 degrees (it has a heating and cooling until installed). Should I be turning the red lamp off at night? Is an overall ambient air temperature of 75 with a slightly warmer spot going to be fine for nighttime?

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I wouldn't use a CHE for a kingsnake, I use ultratherm heat mats for my colubrids and gound boas. I use CHE's for a young carpet python and a couple of 38/40 gallon tank setups for sub-adult Dominican red mountain boas because they're semi-arboreal and prefer to lurk above the substrate. RHP's for my larger carpet python and adult Dominicans, but those don't fit into aquariums.
    You should turn off the red light at night, night drop in temp is normal.

3. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Would the red lamp be better than a CHE? She has a heat cord underneath the tank so she has heat from the bottom, I'm just using a lamp to raise ambient air temperature in the enclosure. It apparently got down to 72 on the cold side through the night even though the room stays 75 (I suppose it's possible it dropped to 72 before the heater in the room kicked on).

4. toddnbecka

Ambient air temp isn't going to affect the snake as much as the substrate and temp inside the cage. My room temp is around 73, but the temp inside the 30 gallon tank that houses my juvie bull snake is 77, with the temp probe stuck through a hole in the pegboard top. My king snakes don't have additional heat aside from the mats, and they've been growing and thriving for about 2 years now. It isn't necessary to maintain a perfect constant temp in any case, just provide a warm and cool side for the snake to move around and maintain its body temp as necessary.

5. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

I'm just concerned that the heat cord by itself isn't making the warm side warm enough for her to digest properly.

6. toddnbecka

Unless the snake is regurging a day or two after feeding you don't need to worry about the digestion. My larger carpet python just ate a medium rat last night, and is soaking in the water bowl tonight. His tank is set up with a RHP on the warm side, while the water bowl is on the cool side and typically around 73. You'd expect him to be hanging out under the heat to help digest the large meal, but he's happy enough, lol.

7. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

So I put the thermometer under her warm hide to see what kind of reading I could get inside of it. It got up to 81 and is reading 77 outside of it without the lamp on. She has been hanging out mostly on the cool side so I'm going to take her cues and leave the lamp off I think.