This Disappears When Logged In

Khaleesi's Growth Thread

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by CTU2fan, Mar 4, 2015.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

So I thought it might be fun to start a thread and keep track of my little girl's progress as she grows.

Khaleesi is a normal female retic that my daughter and her friend found, outside, in late January. They recognized her as a python (her friend has ball pythons) and my daughter brought her home. She was 38" long and very thin (I didn't weigh her).

I got a digital scale last month and weighed her; on February 19 she weighed 290g and measured 43". She also molted twice in February. She's currently eating a small f/t rat weekly (generally between 50-60g), but I haven't been precise with her feedings, I didn't feed her while in shed, and I fed her right after her last shed which was more like 4-5 days between feedings. But I'm shooting generally for weekly.

I'll post some pics in a bit, I'm sure I have some from when I first got her and I'll take some recent ones. I plan to weigh/measure her monthly and see how things go. That's if there's interest; if I find I'm talking to myself then I suppose I'll let it go.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It's always great to keep stats on reptiles. I wish I had kept up with it. Seems like pretty much every time I do, time flies too fast and I get way off track.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I never used to before, I always planned to keep growth records and a feeding schedule but I never did. Somebody would refuse a feed so I'd feed the prey to somebody else, somebody wouldn't want to be measured and it's not so easy when they don't cooperate. But I have an app now which makes it pretty simple to keep track of feeds, sheds, etc so I'm giving it a shot.

I'm waiting the full month to weigh and measure her again but just eyeballing it she looks bigger/longer.

4. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Here she is the day I got her, very thin, hardly the "mighty retic" that their adult size suggests.

Attached Files:

5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Her first meal, an adult mouse, 2 days later. Notice the apparent bulge from a mouse.

Attached Files:

6. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

3 weeks later, constricting a small rat (prekilled, but she constricts anyway). Tomorrow is a month since I measured/weighed her, interesting what kind of growth I'll see.

Attached Files:

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

OK, it's weigh day. 47" long (give or take, she doesn't cooperate) and 431g. That's almost a 50% weight gain in 4 weeks...seems high.

8. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Well here's an update. She's getting tougher to weigh, I'm gonna need to just use the bathroom scale and weigh myself with and without her, and do the math. She doesn't really hold still on the scale or straighten out for measuring anymore. Anyway she's about 6' and she ate the 258g rat that my boa refused today. That was a big meal for her, generally she gets around a 150g guinea pig roughly every 2 weeks, and a nice clean monthly shed.