This Disappears When Logged In

Kenyan Sand Boa Not Burrowing?

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by purduedude, Jul 26, 2017.

1. purduedude

purduedude New Member

Hey everyone. I have a KSB who is a little less than a year old who has recently been surfacing a lot more than usual. He still spends most of his time under the substrate, but he's been trying to find ways to hold himself above it, like curling up on his thermostat. I eventually just put some fake leaves in his tank to give him something to sit on, and I see him up there a few times a day. Is there any reason for this sudden change in behavior? He's always been pretty adverse to being above the soil, even for a second.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

What are his temps and what heating device do you use? Also humidity levels if you have them. What substrate is he on?

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Do you use an undertank heater and if you do is it regulated with a thermostat?
    Sounds like he's too warm.

4. purduedude

purduedude New Member

I use an undertank heater. I can't remember the brand, but I know it's adjustable. I brought it down when he started doing this. His cool side is about 75 F, and the hot side is around 85 F. I very rarely see him on the cool side.

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

How do you measure the temperatures?

6. AmityReptiles

This is why he's not burrowing. I recommend using overhead heating via lamp with a IR or basking bulb. I have also had good success with Ceramic heat emitters (they last a lot longer). They burrow to cool down so instinctually he's probably all confused! Plus if your thermostat is on the surface of the substrate there are going to be hotspots in the substrate that are way over comfort level for the snake. Overhead heating should solve the problem. What substrate are you using?

7. purduedude

purduedude New Member

I use two LCD probe thermometers that I stick to the bottom of the tank. I will definitely consider switching to a heatlamp. I'm using a coconut fiber blend that my breeder recommended, and I'm thinking I should change it anyway. It's been a while since I did a full clean up

8. AmityReptiles

I like the coconut fiber stuff for a variety of my reptiles, however, for sand boas you may find play sand (Not calcium sand) to simulate their natural environment a little better. It's heavier and distributes heat better, and may be preferred by your sand boa. Some breeders use different substrates, which isn't necessarily bad, but you might find plain old sand to be superior. Just a thought.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are you talking about. The tape strips? Can you put up a picture of them?

10. purduedude

purduedude New Member

https://www.lllreptile.com/uploads/images/StoreInventoryImage/6082/large

That's my thermometer there.

He has a sandbox he likes to play in (i.e., I like to make him play in). I fed him two nights ago and he's back to his old underground self, it seems. I know he likes to scout his tank (he escaped once by pushing all his fake leaves into a corner, climbing up them, and wiggling open the lid), so he might be planning another escape. Not this time, friend.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok thanks. That's a digital thermometer...the way to go.