This Disappears When Logged In

Kenyan Sand Boa Enclosure

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Boxraddict, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

I am getting my sand boa on Wednesday, I set this up for him. Bare in mind most sources say they can live in a 10 gallon.

Exo Terra 24x18x12:
    Right side has a 100w basking bulb on during day (in Double dome)
    Right side has a 75w CHE for night (in Double dome)
    Right side corner also has an UTH pad on 24/7

Now the part I wonder about is my room gets as low as 70% at night...if he has all this (the screen is vented so I'm trying to keep the air heated) should he be okay if it drops that low?

Also is a moist hide with moss, and a hide and branch and white water dish

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

By 70% I'm assuming you mean 70 degrees not 70% humidity.
    You should set up a digital thermometer to see what the actual temps are in the enclosure, or use an IR gun. Guessing based on wattage and ambient temperature is pointless...
    I also suggest removing the uth. They often burrow to escape heat, even if its only on a section of the enclosure, plus I'm assuming you don't have a thermostat to regulate it because you don't know what the temperature is in your enclosure, so this would be very unsafe... They get way too hot left to themselves. What is your substrate?
    Also a humid hide would likely in this case be too much humidity, I would suggest removing it and just providing a water dish. They like it very dry. If you have shed issues (which is very unlikely) you can provide a humid hide then, but I would still keep the hide on the dry side.

3. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

I have just purchased a temp gun, thanks. I cannot find my digital thermometer.
    My substrate is carefresh. Except in the one corner where it's Rept-bark which is the corner the UTH is on, I thought the Repti-bark would get warmed but yet the sand boa wouldn't be able to dig under it so easily. He's a baby. Should arrive under 10".

I do hear you on the humid hide I am to remove thAT now.

Is a water bowl suggested?

4. AmityReptiles

Hey that's great. I still recommend a digital thermometer but your temp gun should suffice until you can get one. They're cheap if you get one online or in home depot or something, and one that's not specifically made for reptiles.
    Yeah he's going to burrow in anything. That's how they remain secure. Sand boas will stay under the substrate most of the time. And yes always provide a water bowl so they can hydrate.

5. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

How is your snake doing? I am getting a Sand Boa this Friday. I have never owned a reptile before, so I am looking at these forums for guidance/reassurance.

6. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

I like him a lot, very docile and doesn't mind any handling. He won't eat yet though.

7. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

I just got my two snakes today (sisters). Very docile indeed! Hopefully he will eat when he gets used to his new home he will eat. I will try to feed mine on Monday (the breeder was feeding them on Mondays). I wish you all the luck!

Also, how old is your snake? You said 'he', is it a male? Adult male Kenyan Sand Boas are known for eating infrequently.

8. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

He was born 6/17 of this year and fed live pinkies on Fridays. I only offered frozen-thawed so far. I may need an alive one which I kind of did not want to do, but I may try it. And yup it was sold as a sexed male.

9. AmityReptiles

Probably because you're handling him. Need to get him comfortable in his enclosure and established and fed before you attempt handling.

10. AmityReptiles

If you start live it's hard to switch them. Ask around first and only do that as last resort.

11. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

I guess you'd be right but I couldn't resist holding

12. AmityReptiles

I know the struggle. No judgment ;)

13. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

I just got my new snakes to eat! They went three weeks.

I was wondering if you got your snake to eat the frozen mice? Would love an update.

Also, I know this is basic, and you probably already tried this...but I found a helpful tip for getting to eat frozen. It is what finally convinced my snakes to eat. 'Convinced' is a strong word though. I think they were suffering from my inexperience. So, the tip is: Using tongs to hold the pinkie, rub it against your snakes mouth and head. It may take a minute or two, so be patient.

I did this and they both ate! They had been fed live by their breeder.