This Disappears When Logged In

Keeping Humidity Up

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by DarkVice, Dec 10, 2012.

1. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

So I have my big blood in a 90cm glass case with a mesh top. As we get deeper into winter I'm having a harder time keeping the humidity up.
    I have a thing of water on the cool end big enough for him to soak in, and on the warm end a slightly smaller water by the heater. I also have a humidifier on in the room 24/7. So while my room humidity is reading at 60-70% his cage humidity drops down to 55% or so far faster than I like to see.

I'm typically misting before going to work, when I get home, and again before bed.
    Anything extra I can do to push up the humidity for longer periods of time?

I had someone at one of the local reptile shops recommend putting a desk sized humidifier directly into his cage, but that seems like it could go bad quickly.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Until you close off that mesh top you will continue to have trouble. The humidity is going out into the room.
    Warm air rises so your heat and humidity is going right out the top.

3. williamweir10

williamweir10 Elite Member

I've found a pretty awesome way of closing the mesh top off that might help you.

First, go to target, wal-mart, etc., and get a heavy duty (we got 8 gauge) shower curtain, and duct tape. (they have different colors/patterns, including snake skin at Target, but they don't stick for ****, so I would suggest getting the original brand in a color of your choosing, like black)

Cut the shower curtain to fit over the mesh, up until the part that you have the light/heat emitter (assuming you have one). Once you get that the right size, cover the entire piece of plastic with the duct tape. Viola, humidity trapper. Here's a picture of my Ball Python's 40 gallon with it done. I'm going to go back over it with black because it sticks better.

Top.jpg

Attached Files:

• Top.jpg
      Top.jpg
      File size:
      39 KB
      Views:
  4. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

Cool. I'll try that shower curtain. Obviously that's cutting down ventilation quite a bit, but I'm guessing that's not an issue?

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Not if you leave a 1-2 inch gal around the lights. Or if you don't use lights and cover the entire thing just open the cage once or twice a day and that will be enough air exchange.

6. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Or! Get packaging tape, and do what i did for my crested geckos when Paco was in his smaller enclosure!

upMgnl.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Bowski

Bowski Active Member

rinse halved-over paper towels with water...

squeeze them slightly to keep them from being dripping wet (a little dripping is ok)
    cover you mesh top, the more the better... keep at least a half-inch or so from your heat lamp dome to prevent fire

8. Bowski

Bowski Active Member

my setup involves a

-ZooMed HygroTherm ($80)
    -Walgreens Humidifier ($50)
    -Piece of Flex Tubing (had lying around)
    -Plywood to cover cold half of tank (had lying around)

works very well for my ball python... but keeping at 60%+ uses a lot of distilled water...
    I still used my previously mentioned wet paper towel method during her shed

Here's a pic of the hot side of my 55gal tank
    5ahmbk.jpg

when I have to increase humidity to 65% for her shed....
    there's a lot of water that drops down the tube through the mesh...
    so I just drain it into the water dish

keeping humidity around 40%, there's still water droplets...
    but they evaporate before making a mess of the aspen

hope this helps

9. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

I had been putting a damp towel over the cool end, but that was drying up and the cage was drying out.

Also, in case any of you have ever heard about Japan being a wonderful place... it's not.... why you ask?

THEY DON'T HAVE DUCT TAPE!!!!

for the time being I'm trying something else, but I'll be hitting another home supple store tomorrow.

10. Merlin

Just get a peice of plywood and have it cut to fit the screen lid.

11. williamweir10

No duct tape?!? How are they still around!?!?!?!?

12. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

I wound up getting a piece of insulated aluminum they use for under heated tables over here, and put that over the one side. It's now not sitting at a nice 66% and also it's kicked his temp up on the cool end by one or two degrees (Celsius) which was something else I had been playing with.

On the warm end I have a nice 13" x 4.5" opening next to the overhead heater too, so ventilation should be okay.

13. Merlin

You really don't need that big of an opening. JUst the space around the heater will do fine. This is a 55 gal tank that is completely covered except for the cutout where the reflector sits.
    2012_09240100.jpg

Attached Files:

14. williamweir10

It's really surprising how little ventilation they need...

15. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

So this is what I have the cage set-up with now. I'm still hesitant about having the top so closed off, but this is still enough ventilation right?

photo-1.jpg

16. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

I should note that that's about a 13.5 square inch opening next to the heater.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Looks good to me.

18. williamweir10

You could probably go with less and still be ok.