This Disappears When Logged In

Keeping A Hamster And A Snake?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Leanne130, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Leanne130

Leanne130 Established Member

Can anyone help please; I've a young corn snake, got in July, love her to bits, my neighbour is wanting rid of her hamster and she said she would rather I take it as she knows it would go to a good home. Problem is I have shakira! She isn't even an option to give away or sell she isn't going anywhere; so let's get that straight! The problem is I've been told that she will snap at me every time I try to handle her if I keep them in the same room and that if I handle them it would be a bad idea (obviously knowing shakira feeds on rodents and hamsters are rodents) but shakira was baught from a pet store; surely if I wash my hands through then everything will be fine? I need advice before o do anything.. thanks leanne:)

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Yes if you wash your hands you will be fine. And I know hamsters are rodents but they have a different scent than say mice or rats, so given time she will get used to the smell of hamster in the same room and not associate it with food. (I still wouldn't let them near each other though)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

At one time I was raising gerbils for feeders and they were in the same room.never noticed any change in behavior.
    Just don't handle the snake after you have been handling the rodents