This Disappears When Logged In

Just Wondering

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by SammieLee, Apr 27, 2013.

1. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I have just been wondering about breeding reptiles....I have no plan in breeding anything right now just wondering. Does it matter if they are related?? I know with sugar gliders it is best to know where they came from so there is no inbreeding. I have not heard of anything like this on reptiles so does it not matter?? In the future I know I want a pair of croc skinks is what got me thinking about it. What would happen if brother and sister were breed together?? It will be a while before I buy but do I need to get them from different places so there are no issues?? I might just be over thinking this....

2. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Generally speaking inbreeding isn't good for any animal. In some cases, reptiles are bred to siblings in order to get a specific Gene that can only occur when the animals are inbred.

However, excessive inbreeding can lead to a whole host of problems. I would make sure the animals aren't related, whenever you try to breed. It's just not healthy to inbreed.

3. justor

justor Elite Member

It doesn't really matter a whole lot with reptiles until you go multiple generations without adding new blood to the gene pool, but unless there's a specific reason for inbreeding (like mentioned above) its best to avoid it. It may not necessarily be harmful but it isn't good either.

If you want to buy a pair of lizards and are worried about siblings breeding with each other you should find out if the parents were related. If not then I wouldn't worry about it.

4. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Thank you!! Just a thought since the croc skinks are not as easy to find as a lot of other reptiles. I will make sure when I do get a pair that they are not related. I am not even sure when I will get some....just know I want a pair.