This Disappears When Logged In

Just Got Bitten, What to Do?

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by jengal, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Our male AFT just bit the bejesus out of me! I was holding the gravid female, and my daughter was holding the male in near proximity. Somehow, she moved him towards me and he hellaciously latched on to my pinky finger. I could hardly get him off! There are bite marks on both sides of my pinky, skin torn all the way through. So, besides cleaning it out w/ H2O2 and putting antibiotic ointment, do I need to go get a shot or anything?

We've had him for 6 months, and he has always been perfectly gentle. But this really seemed like he 'attacked' me. I wonder if he thought my pinky finger was a worm, bec. I do have tiny hands. Or, in a move of gecko chivalry, might he have been trying to protect the female?

Jennifer

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just keep it clean. I have been bitten by all sorts of critters and never required medical attention....yet. lol

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Yep,,,as Rich said. Cleanliness is all you need to do.,,,,Oh yeah....keep your fingers out of the way too !!!!!

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Lucky!!! LOl

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

You said the skin is torn all the way through... what do you mean by torn all the way through, is it bites on either side that meet in the middle (like making an actual hole kinda like piercing would) or is it just more like a flap? Depending on the size of the lac you might be needing stitches. I would keep an eye on it, keep it clean and covered and keep an antibiotic ointment like neosporin on it. If the finger starts to get hot to the touch or turns red then get to your doc.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

neosporin and time. if you see it getting infected, make a stop off at your doctors to get some antibiotics.

7. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

When my iguana bit me, the ER people, with the exception of "numbing" shots, just soaked my hand in betadine (I think), coated the sores in bacitracin and wrapped it up. I was also briefly on antibiotics as well. I think the biggest risk is infection. Treating it right away should prevent that, though.

8. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

Clean it out well, if there is a flap of skin peeling back with a significant amount of blood, or you can't stop the bleeding see a doctor, if not just put triple antibiotic ointment on them and put a tight bandage on for the first 24 to make sure the skin heals, change it once in the first day. After the first day an obvious clot should have formed, then put a loose bandage on it for a few days with ointment and in about a week you should have a nice conversation piece scar.

Your pinky more than likely looked edible, try to keep your fingers together when handling and it shouldn't happen again, in case it was a spite thing, make sure you don't just put him back in the cage right away, then he will get wise to he idea that he can just latch onto you whenever he wants to go back in the cage.

Oh, and welcome to Herp keeping... more bites are coming, remember it is not a question of "if they will bite," it is "when they will bite"

9. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Ouch! :eek: When my husband drilled a hole through his thumbnail and into his thumb with a power drill while working on a fence (*shudder* still gives me hooky-jigs to think about it :eek:), the doctor had him soak it twice a day in warm salt water for 20 to 30 minutes each time. It really seemed to increase the circulation and speed healing. My daughter and I have both since used the same treatment for injuries of the the hand (once in a while it was a snake bite) and foot, and not only does it feel pretty soothing while you're doing it, it really does seem to ward off excessive inflammation or infection. After the soaking, we just pat the injury dry with a clean paper towel and apply neosporin and a band-aid.

Hope your finger feels better soon! :)

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

HAHAHAHAA, I like the word Hooky-jigs.:p

11. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Thanks for all the advice. This has healed up pretty well. The scars are still visible, but there are no other issues. What I learned from this thread is useful info to have going forward, for herp and non-herp injuries alike.

Jennifer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.