This Disappears When Logged In

Just Got a IJ Carpet Python

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by jdandlucy, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

dragoness where are you from in michigan. i was born in pontiac and lived all over the state from detroit, lansing area, jackson, flint area, and alpena area

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Oakland County.

3. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

lol nice. born in pontiac. moved a round alot, but lived in rochester, auburn hills, holly, and waterford.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Holly. Fancy that ;)

5. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

Peaches is getting very antsy in the quarantine tank. she keeps going around and around the tank, then stops and double backs and to around and around the other way. she is acting hungry, and looks like she is going to go in to shed soon. hopefully when saturday gets here she will be so hungry she takes her first rat with out problem.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Sometimes, new snakes tend to pace their new enclosure, and explore it very thoroughly. My JCP never did, but each and every BP I own does it when there is a change, as do most of my other snakes.

7. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

UPDATE: Peaches pooed again. Took her out And she sounds as she is getting a RI. Raised the temp to 90. Is very active, but would not eat no material what I tried. Even mice. Had to toss a rat and mouse in the trash. Will try next week.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Mice and rats can be refrozen 1 time. So you don't have to toss them immediately.

9. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

I did not know that thank you. I'll just have the mark the bag so i make sure I don't try to feed that to another snake

10. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Beautiful IJ JD! I'm still getting used to navigating the forum, so I'm glad I found this thread!

Last week was actually my JCP's first rat ever! Pretty exciting since he's about 9 yrs old.

I was feeding him 3 mice at a time his whole life and realized he was way too long with not much girth, and to fix that I'd have to switch over to rats.

Good luck with the next try though! Was he eating F/T or live with the previous owner?

11. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

F/T 5 large every 5 to 7 days

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

5large mice at one time? Every 5-7days?
    Yeah it might be time to go with larger prey...even I know that and have never fed snakes.

13. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

it has been 2 weeks since i got "peaches" she is moving out of quarantine tonight. moving her to the 4x4x2. Lucius has been moved out and and everything cleaned. temps are at 88 deg night time and 95 day time with 65-70% humidity. anything i need to chance to adjust before adding her? also it has been now 3 weeks since her last feed. i will try again tonight but if she dont feed any suggestions?

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well you probably shouldn't move her until she eats. As you can't be sure she is completely healthy until she eats. Also moving into a new enclosure will stress her out and make it so that she won't want to eat for even longer.

15. justor

justor Elite Member

Has she been refusing rats or mice? They can be stubborn to switch to rats especially if they've been on mice as long as she has. I would probably just move her into the enclosure and give her a week to settle in, and then see if she's worked up her appetite. If she still won't take rats you can try scenting them with mice.

16. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Congrats! Snake is lookin' nice! :)

17. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

she is currently refusing both mice and rats. no matter what live or F/T, even with chicken broth

18. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

no luck on feeding again. she has lost 116 grams in body weight since we got her

19. justor

justor Elite Member

I have a feeling she will be fine once she settles into her new enclosure. Is there a picture of it somewhere that I missed btw? That quarantine tank really offered her no security, I'm not surprised she refused to eat. I guess I missed a couple pages of this thread because I probably would have said something sooner. Anyways what's the scoop on this new enclosure of hers?

20. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

she is in the custom enclosure i had built originally for my ball python. i feel she will be able to make use of the height better than the ball would. i moved her in after she refused to eat. i have a tree trunk i make for her just need to seal it and finish it. finding a hide for such a large snake is not easy. the enclosure is 4h x 4w x 2d.