This Disappears When Logged In

Just a Little Update:)

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by MorganLeFay, Mar 19, 2014.

1. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

OK, so Lancelot has already moved into the bigger enclosure some time ago, but I decided to wait with pictures until I got my new camera;) I tried to arrange it somehow, it's nothing big, but at least he has some leafy shelter and a branch to climb on. When I put him there he immediately coiled himself around it and seemed extremely happy about it. He never had enough room to climb properly, so I'm glad that he can finally have some good excercise:) The bare area is where the heat mat is and it has to be uncovered, at least for the time being, as it gets very hot when buried under the aspen. The snake is perfectly healthy and doing great, but I'm considering getting a bigger heat mat (or maybe switching over to a cable?) or a bigger water bowl, as I really want to avoid the shedding nightmares I had to go through...I do not want this happening ever again:( Right now it looks a bit chaotic, but at least it's sufficient for him to live in and he is really happyXD
    Btw, what do you think about having live, potted plants in the enclosure? Bad idea?
    004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If your heat mat is getting that hot, you really need to put it on a thermostat or rheostat. And the mat should cover no more than 1/3 of the tank floor.
    If you go with stout woody plants the live plants may work. Anything else will get torn up from the snake climbing around on it.

3. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

OK, thanks. The mat doesn't get scalding hot, but it's uncomfortable when you put your hand on it, so I don't know if it could actually hurt him. When it's uncovered like that it's perfectly fine, since the high temperature is just a result of the aspen trapping all the heat underneath. I'm worried that if I lower its temperature, it won't be sufficient to heat the air above and that mat is pretty much the only heat source that he has right now. As for the size, it covers about 25% of the surface of the tank floor, so that's OK, isn't it? Idk, maybe I should just go bare bottom or use something that will actually conduct the heat instead of trapping it...
    I was just wondering whether the plant soil doesn't come loaded with critters and substances that could harm the snake in any way? Of course I wouldn't be using any flimsy plants, esp. as he really likes to destroy most of the decor in his enclosure, lol...;)

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Rearranged a bit...I keep losing these little adhesive things for the plants :mad: It looks a bit better, I guess:)
    DSC_0009[1].jpg

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The suction cups themselves may be insufficient to hold the snakes weight. If you put a dab of silicone inside before attaching the cups to the wall it will hold better.
    As for your question about the soil. I would take the plants out and remove the old soil and repot it. This will eliminate any residual chemicals in the soil. I don't know how it is over there but the plants produced commercially in this country are routinely doused with a horde of chemicals to prevent pests and fungus.

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

you should always have your heat elements on a thermostat as they will help provide the animal with the proper temps.... as you will also want a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe to measure the correct ambient are temps and humidity (which sounds like you are having trouble keeping due to your shedding issues) and the probe to measure the side with the heat pad (your basking area).

7. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Suction cups! Jesus, I forget the simplest words...Thanks for the tips Merlin, I'll certainly do the silicone thing as he's already pulled down one of the plants :/ Most of our live plants are probably also treated with chemicals, though that really depends where you buy them. I might try one someday, maybe a nice creeping plant to grow on that branch, but for the time being I'll just leave it the way it is as I don't want to stress him out too much with all the changes. Thanks again:)

8. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Thanks, fortunately he no longer has shedding issues and the temps are OK (maybe a little bit on the cool side but still within the appropriate range). I don't have a hygrometer though, so I'm quite clueless about the humidity, but he has a fairly large water bowl and has already gone through 3 consecutive, perfect sheds, so I'm guessing it's alright. I hope everything will be OK from now on;)

9. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

just be sure to get the therm/hygrom+prob (12-15 bucks at a store) to be sure everything is accurate and stay away from the circular analog ones as they are very inaccurate...