This Disappears When Logged In

Jungle Carpet Python Enclosure Help

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Killerflash, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Killerflash

Killerflash New Member

Hello everyone! This is my first post even though I've been part of this forum for over 2 years so bear with me.

I have a jungle carpet python I've had him for a bit over 2 years now and he is just around 2 and a half years old. Ever since I got him I've had him in the same enclosure which is the exo-terra large low terrarium 36” x 18” x 12” (WxDxH) and use the reptile carpet.

Now he has always seemed to enjoy his place and still does, but I am concerned about the height of his terrarium now that he has gotten bigger (he is around 4+ feet now) and wondering if I should or if it is nothing to worry about?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pic of the one I have for a visual (sorry for the double post, but I couldn't post a picture in my first post on this forum).
    http://www.exo-terra.com/download/high_res/products/images/PT2611_Natural_Terrarium_Filled.jpg

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It sounds like he could certainly use an upgrade.

If you are handy, I would check out the construction forums for ideas and inspiration.

I keep my JCP in a tall terrarium, because he seems to like the height.

3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

You might as well go ahead and build or buy an enclosure large enough to house the python when it's fully grown. Carpets are semi-arboreal, so a taller enclosure wouldn't be a waste of space. They actually prefer to strike prey from above. My little one never stays on the floor of the cage, though he/she does soak in the water bowl when in shed. I'm looking to build a number of taller enclosures for my collection. I'm thinking 4' wide, 3' tall, 2' deep should be a pretty comfortable size for 5-6' long semi-arboreal boas and pythons.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

5. Killerflash

Killerflash New Member

Thanks for the input you two! That cage you are putting together looks awesome too Dragoness; hopefully after the winter I can start making one myself.

6. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Very nice conversion of the found furniture. Could probably find similarly usable pieces on Craiglist fairly cheap.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Check Craigslist, your local thrift stores, and garage sales (when in season). Heck, during the right time of year, when people are throwing furniture out, you can frequently find 'damaged' furniture that is no longer good for it's original use, but perfectly adaptable for a reptile. Such as an entertainment center in which some of the central shelves broke - the structure is intact, but the unit will no longer support a TV, and is therefore useless to it's original owners.