This Disappears When Logged In

Jungle Carpet Python Advice

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by SPruitt22, Aug 25, 2018.

1. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

I just purchased a young Jungle Carpet Python. She is very young and around a foot long. As expected with young carpets she is very nippy. I have been handling her an hour a day for the last few days and plan to continue doing that but was wondering if anyone had any other methods of keeping carpets relaxed. I have read that putting construction paper on the sides of her enclosure will make her feel more comfortable in her new home. Should I do that? Any advice would be well appreciated.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Covering the back and sides does help to make them feel more secure, but I would hold off on the handling until it is eating regularly. And often babies might not fully calm down until they gain some size. It takes a while to override that internal programming that tells them that the "giant scary thing is gonna eat me!", so be patient.

SPruitt22 likes this.
  3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

i have 3 carpets, 2 jungles and an IJ. Both jungles were very easy to handle from the start, while the IJ was a holy terror for months. Would strike at literally anything that moved, and stressed out/flighty when handled. I rarely handled unless necessary for cleaning the enclosure, and with time and a bit of growth that one calmed down considerably. After about the first year there weren't any issues at all about being picked up or handled.

SPruitt22 likes this.
  4. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

Thank you. She still strikes at me anytime I come near her tank, but is calming down as I am holding her. I am currently working on getting her to eat regularly so only hold her if I have to do something in her terrarium. Hopefully, I can get her eating soon so I can return to holding her periodically.

5. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

Do you have any advice on the best way to feed JCP? I don't know if there is a time of day that works better for them, but I would appreciate any advice.

6. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

When I brought my first jungle home as a baby (profile pic) I offered a fuzzy mouse, no interest. I offered a live hopper, it was killed then abandoned. When I offered a slightly larger live mouse, it was finally eaten. It never occurred to me at the time that the snake may have been started on rat pinks, or that the prey size I was starting with might be too small. My IJ refused rat pinks, and to this day won't touch a rat. That one is now probably 5' and still eats mice. My newest jungle, still quite young, will happily take either small mice or fuzzy rats. When the first jungle carpet was about the same length as the IJ is now he/she escaped the tank and I found the wayward snake hanging over the side of one of my breeding tubs of mice. Had already eaten 6 females, most pregnant, and had the last remaining mouse, the male, in coils and dead. I figured that was a good indication that it was time to switch from feeding 2-3 mice to rats. Given that the snake accepted the rat immediately I realized it had probably been fed rat pinks before I brought it home. Time of day doesn't matter, and my carpets almost never refuse a meal.

SPruitt22 likes this.
  7. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

Thank you for the advice! If she doesn't eat this last pinkie rat I will try a fuzzy rat or hopper mice until I figure out what she will eat.