This Disappears When Logged In

Jungle Carpet Python Advice P2

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by SPruitt22, Aug 28, 2018.

1. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

So I have young JCP and for the past couple days she has stayed curled up on the floor of her terrarium instead of up in the branches like she has in the past. I am worried that this might be due to her hot spot up in the branches being too hot although the thermometer shows where she usually sits in the branches to be around 91 degrees. It also might be due to her feeling her spot on the ground is better hidden then up in the trees. To give her hiding spaces I have wrapped fake vines around the branches which gives her places to hide in the branches but also on the ground since the vines start at the base. I am worried that if her new placement is due to hiding better she won't get the heat she needs. Which do you think is the cause? Is there anything I can do to change this or should I just leave her be?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Have the ambient temps in the cage remained the same? She could just be in the mood for some cool time, plus I don't think JCPs are entirely arboreal the way green trees or emeralds are so some time on the ground may be normal. Can't be sure as I've never kept this species, just trying to go on what I remember about them.

SPruitt22 likes this.
  3. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

Thank you. I believe her temperatures remain constant. I will be sure to keep a closer eye on them just in case.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how are you measuring the temps and humidity and can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure including a top view?

5. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

I use an Imaginarium brand humidity gauge and a Zoo Med Digital Thermometer. Her humidity has been reading a bit low, around 35, so I misted today and hope it will go up soon. I currently have the thermometers probe set up under the tip of the branch best seen in the last picture. IMG_6547.jpg IMG_6546.jpg IMG_6547.jpg IMG_6550.jpg IMG_6549.jpg

6. Darkbird

Well I'm not familiar with that brand, but most of the dial type hygrometers made for the pet industry are basically junk, they are made to such low tolerances that they tend to be 15% or more out of calibration. Accurite makes a decent inexpensive unit that measures temps and humidity at the base unit, and another version with an additional probe for reading a remote temp. Not really needed here, and with that screen top the one you have may be accurate. Your going to want to cover that screen as completely as possible, otherwise all your heat and especially humidity will just flow right out the top. You can use saran wrap or tinfoil if need be, I like the thicker plastic sheeting from the hardware store, though buying a roll of that to do one cage would be a bit much. Acrylic sheeting is also an option.

SPruitt22 likes this.
  7. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

Would saran wrap work without being damaged by the heat emitter?

8. Darkbird

Just cut a hole for that and it will be fine.

9. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

Should I do this for my ball python and kingsnake too? Their enclosures are much larger at 36X18X12 and 24X18X18 respectively.

10. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

So I have never had to wrap the screen before and am having trouble finding information on how best to do it. I am assuming I just cover the top of the enclosure and make sure it is fastened tight with tape or something. Is that correct?

11. Darkbird

All I ever do is either cut acrylic to fit and hot glue it down, or if using plastic sheeting I just use scotch or packing tape to secure it to the lid, then make holes as needed to accommodate any fixtures.
    Now as for the other cages, yes on the ball, they like higher humidity, I keep mine at around 60-65%. As for the kingsnake, on mine I have all but about 2 inches of one end covered, might not even be that much open screen (20g long front opening tank). I like to keep them around 30%, which my house stays close anyway due to all the cages and a couple large aquariums.

SPruitt22 likes this.
  12. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

Thank you for all of the advice! I will be sure to cover them, probably with tin foil since I already have it on hand.

Darkbird likes this.