This Disappears When Logged In

It's Time For Change

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Rich, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Ok Rich, how do I start a new pm, or "conversation" now. Must be missing something, but I can't figure it out. Only hang-up I've run into so far.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

On the navbar there is an icon that floats to the right. Click that and choose "conversations". Then click the button to start a conversation. You can also click your name on the homepage and click conversation there as well. You can also visit the users profile, click the "information" tab and scroll down to where it says "Start a Conversation".

3. Darkbird

I'll have to try the desktop when I bet home, but I'm not getting any tab to click on for starting a conversation no matter which way I go in on mobile. Tried what you said, also tried clicking a profile pic. I can get to other members profiles but can't find a tab for starting a conversation either there or in my own conversation list. Is it possible to turn that off somehow in user settings? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

4. Rich

I just clicked a users name (on my cell) from a thread and the "Start A Conversation" link was right in my face. I then visited the members list and selected a random member and clicked their name. I was brought to their profile, where I clicked the "Information" tab. I scrolled down a bit and the link for "Start A Conversation" was under the "Interact" section. Try clicking my name in this thread, on your cell. A pop-up should appear. There should be a link in it to Start A Conversation with me. Shoot me the users name you are trying to contact so that I can look at their account to make sure they haven't disabled it or if I have a setting wrong somewhere.

5. Darkbird

Ok, I get the pop-up, but there's no link for a conversation. Go to profile page, same thing, go down to interact section, no link for conversation. Reason this came up was that Jen (Dragoness) was trying to message me and couldn't figure it out, so she just used an old one. So I tried it and got stuck too. Existing conversations work fine, just can't start a new one.

6. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

It looks like it has something to do with elite member status. None of the profiles for folks who are tagged as elite members seem to have the start a conversation link. Every other status I have seen seems to have it. Hopefully that helps the admins in tracing the problem.

7. Rich

It should be corrected. I used my test account and set it as an elite user and can see the links now. Give that a go. Thanks Brown for the added info. One of the staff had texted me that he couldn't see the link at all and I allso figured it to be a usergroup setting but wasn't near a comp to verify. It was indeed an issue with a setting for elite users. ;)

8. Darkbird

Yep, working now. In a way I'm glad it wasn't me, felt like a bit of an idiot for a bit there.

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  9. Rich

I installed a modification that "should" convert links into the pages title, which is linked to the page being linked to. This will be good for the sites search index, looks better and targets better keywords for the search engines. The links below were created by just posting the pages link. The new code structure goes and reads that page and takes its title and makes it a keyword rich hyperlink. (If it works. lol)

Reptile Care Sheets | Herp Center
    Pet Reptile Names | Herp Center
    Herp Center | Facebook

Edit: ^^^ It worked perfectly! :)

10. Darkbird