This Disappears When Logged In

Is This Normal For A King?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by KhantiMetta, Apr 26, 2015.

1. KhantiMetta

KhantiMetta Active Member

My king has had a little change of behavior and it's probably nothing bad, but I want to be sure.
    I brought her home 2 weeks ago, and she quickly got into the typical habit of wandering around her tank during the day and hiding under the bedding as soon as I turn off her daylight.
    However the past few days shes been staying up later and has been more active. When she does finally go to sleep she doesn't hide, she just curls up in a corner of the tank. Breeding season crossed my mind but she's far to young, still a baby. I thought after feeding her she would settle down but she's still sleeping out in the open. This is probably nothing, but this is the first snake I've kept a snake in a very long time. I just wanna make sure she's thriving. :)

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you give a detailed rundown of the enclosure? Please include temps and humidity, number of hides and type if bedding you are using. How often have you been feeding her?

3. KhantiMetta

I've got one side of her tank at about 85 (heated with a pad and a light) and the other side at about 70. She has aspen bedding, a little rock hide she generally likes, and her water bowl. As for feeding, I've been giving her a pinkie every six days.

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

I would say it's nothing to worry about. An active snake is a usually a healthy snake:) It doesn't really matter where she sleeps, as long as she does . And yes, a rundown of the enclosure would be helpful (temps, measuring instruments, etc.). If you provide her with an appropriately sized hide (upturned flowerpot with a hole for her to enter or a small rock cave) she will most probably go there to sleep. If she doesn't have enough hiding spots she will get stressed, especially as she's still a baby.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  5. KhantiMetta

Alright thank you :) I think perhaps her current hide may be too big, so I will look for something smaller and see how she likes it.

6. mshrmheadcharge

Hi there, I suggest having two hides, one on the cool side and one for the warm. What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures?

7. KhantiMetta

Currently it's only one of those sticker thermometers. I'm waiting on a digital one in the mail.

8. mshrmheadcharge

Hmm, that could explain why she's avoiding her hide and not borrowing, I wonder if it is a little too hot for her? How large is the enclosure?

9. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

My thoughts exactly. It could be too warm for her. You should get a digital thermometer asap. Analogous ones, such as the one you have, can be highly imprecise.

10. jonny274

jonny274 Member

Perfectly normal for her to sleep out in the open. I've had my king for 2 years, you will see a variety of behaviors over time. Sylar normally hides when digesting/sleeping in either his warm or cool hide, as an adult, he rarely burrows & sometimes will sleep curled up out in the open. Also, be prepared for phases where she will possibly reject food for quite a while, this is also normal. Enjoy your king, they are wonderful pets with a great tempermant.

11. KhantiMetta

Thank you all for your help! I'm sorry I'm so late in thanking you all, I haven't had much free time lately. My king snake is doing very well now. It seems I was just paranoid :) But better to be paranoid than uncaring! Thanks again for the tips and the advice everyone!

jonny274 likes this.