This Disappears When Logged In

Is This Breeding Season or Just Teenager?

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by wildheart, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

No one is exempt from breeding season. Welcome to iguana ownership, just pray that it lasts for weeks instead of months.

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I read on one site that stuffed animals sometimes help ease the... frustration... and some of the moody-ness but I forget where... I don't know how true that is..

3. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Regarding the picture: the reddish part is the hemipene; the white part is well, eeeewwww!

Gil's first season lasted 8 months. He was a terror. Stalking me, biting me, trying to mate with me. It was awful. Perseverance is required.

You MUST keep him away from your face. There will be NO warning when he decides to bite. Always keep a good eye on him; you know him well enough to be able to anticipate his next move.

You don't need to make extreme reductions in his light, but do keep to a very strict 12/12 cycle; even an 11 on/13 off won't harm him.

Feeding (or lack thereof): he will NOT starve himself, but you're right that he's simply preoccupied with all the "magical" sensations and thoughts of girlfriends. Keep offering food and water. Of course, you can save a little money by offering less (it's not like he's gonna eat much, anyway).

The ONLY time Gil poops in his cage is during breeding season... I think it's a territorial marking behavior. It's a total PAIN to have to come home to dried, stuck-on poop, and all I can offer is a cyber-hug!

You'll just have to ride it out with the knowledge that IT WILL END!!!

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I've compared today's photos with his older photos and there is absolutely no color change. Everything that I have read about iguanas always say that they change color during breeding season, so I have to state that it is not true. :) He has always been a variety of green with a touch of yellow against the neck and 2 white stripes on his legs.

The only thing that has ever changed or disappeared was brown marks that he had on his body when he was under a month.

[​IMG][​IMG]26 Dec 07 with brown marks
    [​IMG]4 May 2008
    [​IMG]23 November 2008
    [​IMG]Little angel after his bath last night.
    [​IMG] This morning.
    See no color changes.:)

When we go back home, to Kruger, on the 10th of April, do you think he will go back to his normal self or maybe get worse? All of this started at our house by Kruger.:(

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I don't think ALL male igs have color change, and sadly this may be just a mild season since he is still young, maybe color change will happen next year... maybe not who knows..

They should make a crayon that green! Crayola has beaver brown they should have iguana green.

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

8 MONTHS! Holy cow *note to self* never become an ig slave LOL.:p
    But what great pictures Wildheart! :) From teeny tiny to big boy :)

7. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Well I am happy that I have plenty of information to look up because I have NEVER had a male Ig that got as aggressive as my new one now has been for the last couple of days!

That's right it's breeding time here YEA! not. It's a hard road and Wildheart I am right there with you face lunging, Head bobbing, tail whipping and he now gives me the run of my life.

This Morning I went into to give him food he freaked out so bad that he accidentally ran out of the cage (I know it was an accident because he got even more upset and agitated) so then intern he dashed into my bedroom went up the blinds before I could blink another time!

Needless to say the blinds are in bad shape and I unfortunately had to use a towel to get him back into the cage......this is the 2nd time this week I have had to use the towel and I hate that.

8. RES/AnoleLover89

RES/AnoleLover89 Elite Member

note to self: if you ever have an iguana, keep all exits closed at all times unless you're sure it won't freak out. Good luck with the breeding seasons Wildheart and Ace

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

isn't it amazing how fast they can be when they wanna. When I first got kermit she could jump, and run on her hind legs, and dive under the fridge in no time at all, I didn't even think as fast as she ran I was like hi, kermit.. where it go? I swear there was an iguana here a sec ago.

10. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Steph: I remember Gil's breeding season: a glove and a stalking hormonal iguana. I'll never fall for THAT trick again! LOL!

Wildheart: Clearly his intention is to drive you out or mate with you. Hard to say with iguanas. Keep at it and don't let him win. Enter the cage with a towel so you can deflect his lunges if necessary. But keep interacting.

Many times they are monsters during the day and mild at night. One friend had an iguana that was so scary during the day, I refused to hold him at night, even while he was sleeping!

I believe we warn people over and over again that no matter how well they socialize a young male iguana, once that first season hits, all bets are off! The REAL work begins now!

Good luck.

11. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Dom's absolutely right! You MUST be on your guard at ALL times.

I used to take Gil out in public just to keep him off balance and away from "his territory." It kept him social, dependent on me, and involved with the greater world.

Oh, and since Dom brought it up, I've attached a few pics of Gil's first "love."

[​IMG]
    Finding the right place for love

[​IMG]
    Iguana love (note the eye bulge).

12. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Here's Rex with his girlfriend:

[​IMG]

Seems just like with their personalities, they have different tastes in "women". :D

13. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Thank you for sharing that!:D

Forest has actually calmed down a bit, I just make my morning contact brieve because I know he is 'busy'. He is totaly fine at night except when he sees a towel, then he just loose it.:D I did give him a teddy but it doesnt seem like it is his type, maybe I should just give him a green towel? :)

Thanks for the info on the sun Dominick, I must stop being so mothering and let the child go and play outside... although I think he will catch a cold! (I know now that he won't:eek:)

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

maybe you shouldn't walk in the cage with a towel then..

15. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Sho, you are right! I never thought of that Kendalle! That is like asking for 'it'. I will have to get some other protective gear.

16. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

a pillow?

17. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

That sounds like a good idea, it will also give more protection. Thanks Kendalle.:)

18. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Forest's appetite is still not up to where it used to be, but it doesn't really bother me, except that his stomach does not look nice and round like it used to be.

What I actually want to know, is it normal that his tail is soooo fat, it almost look as fat as his stomach? :(:eek:

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Iguanas store fat in the tail and hind legs. They don't store it in their stomach!

20. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Hie-hie Merlin, I know that!:) But his tail is really - really fat, if you look at him from the side then it is the same size as his tummy, actually completely out of proportion with the rest of his body. To be honest, since he lost his appetite it almost looks as if he shrinked and his tail got fatter! (I know that is just my imagination).

Doesn't breeding season maybe cause swelling or is that just ridiculous. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.