This Disappears When Logged In

Is This Breeding Season or Just Teenager?

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by wildheart, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes a bit is reflected but it is greatly reduced!
    Yes it does. And when it rains they either seek shelter under the leaves or just sit there and enjoy it. But there is also a great deal of sun. And iguanas gather up at the top of the trees where they soak up that blazing tropical sun and when they have had enough then they move into the shade. This goes on back and forth all day long.
    No! Often reptiles reach breeding season not so much on a timetable but by physical size and maturity. It DOES NOT mean you are doing anything wrong.

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Ok, I feel better, thanks. I have read some advice on the forum that you can reduce the daylight time, but the book says that it is not advisable because he needs all that light to stay healthy. Thinking about it, I do agree more with the book.?

What other suggestions do you have concerning dehydration?

When I approach him to mist him a bit he leaps forward and wants to jump on my face.:(
    I have supplied 2 water bowls.
    I am also putting out his normal food and an extra bowl with his favorite mango etc that has a lot of moisture, but he is only picking at his food currently.
    I still bath him every night, although much later when he is more calm and doesn't want to eat me.:p But he is not drinking the bath water either.

Any thing more that I can do?

3. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

could you put in a kiddie pool in his room? I think your room is large enough that you have him in that he can really soak and drink.

cutting light I think should only be used in emergency situations such as having a male in season and needing to give them shots or something.

I have heard you should be aware when it comes to that time of month...

Be careful! It will pass.

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

The kiddie pool is still on my list of things that needs to go in his room, thanks Kendalle. The problem is that Land Rover is again at the workshop, they cant seem to get the gearbox sorted out!!!:mad::mad:

Therefore, Forest's whole room came to a stand still!:mad:

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Lame! Do you have a friend that can help out and pick up one for you or loan you their car?

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I do have another car but it is too small to fit the rest of the branches, tarpaulin or swimming pool in. I do not know somebody with a bakkie. I have to wait!:mad:

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

sad. Maybe he would eat a slushie? get some good watery foods like watermelon and squash them up put em in a bowl, place in room, run away from mad iguana, hope he eats

do you have him in the out door enclosure? could you turn on a sprinkler? maybe he would eat some woman made rain?

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

No he is inside. It is becoming autumn here so the highest temp in gauteng currently is only 73F with a bit of a wind chill.:(

I will try the watermelon though, I've tried all his favorites and nothing worked. I think he has got too much on his mind now to think about food, like how to get his brown ledge completely white.:p

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Ew.

I forgot that it got that cold there at this time... sadly it hasn't reached 73 here in months. hopefully one of these days.

I hope you get him to drink something... I haven't heard of an iguana dehydrating themselves to death when they have opportunity for water. Close to my grandpa's saying "In all my years I have never seen a bunny starve to death in a field of alfalfa" You give great care, he will be ok!

10. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

You guys really confuse me with the weather, cold to me is real nice to you. :p I will never survive in your weather!

It is nice and sunny but the wind is an issue, I am afraid that he might catch a cold so I only let him out for a hour now. Maybe I am just over careful.:p

You can say EW again!!:eek::rolleyes:

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

12. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

You have to remember that the wind won't affect him like it does us. They don't sweat. It's the moisture on our skin evaporating that makes the wind feel colder to us.

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I WISH it was getting up to 75 degrees. Come On summer!!!

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Thank you! I was wondering about that ALL the time.

15. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I think he is starting to go crazy!!! :( :mad: At night I can honestly tell you that he is NOT in breeding season. He walks around with me, say halo to every one, have a bath and then stretches himself out on my lap or chest and falls asleep. As per normal. Last night he even starting giving me those hugs and that really freaked me out because I still remember him biting and holding on to my hand. Imagine that on my face!

But in the day he is the devil himself! I have to give him food, water and fill his humidifier very fast in the morning while he head bobs and stare at him with 'hate'.

I took him outside today at about 09:00 because it is 80F. First I was greeted with head bobbing and vigorously shaking and then he stormed to the edge of the ledge and jumped straight for me! I luckily saw his intentions and jumped out of the way. He ended up in the tree. I grabbed him in a towel and took him outside, he was on fire with anger to put it decently! :mad:

How on earth can he change so dramatically between night and day? He is dangerous and really freaks me out at night when he climbs on me or when he presses his face against mine. Its like my heart was going to beat right out of my chest. I expect the worse and then he turns out to be harmless.:eek:

I worked so hard to get him to trust me and now my 'trust' in him is completely out the door.[​IMG]

16. schlegelbagel

Welcome to teenage life.

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Aw I'm sorry you will find trust in him again

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's the problem with breeding season. Their moods can turn rapidly.
    Trusting him will get you hurt!

19. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Menopause in a 'teenage' Iguana!:eek::rolleyes:

That's something to think about!:)

20. schlegelbagel

HA! My husband is more moody than a pregnant woman!:mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.